Different front end options on a px

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Garbs

Hello folks

I've got a 2008 Vespa px125 with a pinasco 177 engine in it that is in the process of being completely stripped, new paint job and rebuilt, I've only taken part of the front apart so far!

I've only ever done one strip and re build before which was about 3/4 years ago, so I've got a very basic understanding but I'm not the most technically minded or gifted.

I want to do something quite different with it with regards to the front end so will be asking plenty of advice over the next 6 months or so with the rebuild in general.

But with the front end, and taking some influence from our German brothers, the options are:
1) automatic forks - have been advised Gilera runner forks are the best, with some mods to the frame and using a 10" front wheel
2) piaggio zip or skipper single sided forks

Has anyone got any experience with either of the above please...I'm looking at practicality and aesthetically pleasing!

Thank you.

All the best.
Juan

No experience myself but there's a few options and it'll come down to personal taste.

Old school way was to weld Lammy lower fork onto the Vespa stem, looks quite smart on the right scoot.

Runner or similar forks will mean cutting and shutting the chassis to allow for turning. Best place to look for those conversions are Scooter and Service site. Not keen on those myself but each to their own.

Piaggio Zip etc will reverse the leg side and give a longer trailing arm, again looks sort of alright if you like that sort of thing and keeps the parts from the same family.

Can't say I like either of the later options as you'll struggle to get a mudguard that looks okay, the RGV type 'guard on Lammy forks doesn't look overly bad to me although again it will depend on the style of the machine.
Muttley McLadd

There's a big thread on here of GPTS1's Sportique build with lambretta forks in.

What is your aim? To improve the handling?
CakeAndArseParty
lambro

I had Skipper forks on my PX,

Handled brilliantly, and rode ace.
All fab work by my mate Steve Rowe, engine by me.
Just how radical are you going to go??

Shaun.
Ginch
Main scooter: Vespa 150 Super

Yes there's no way you can fit a standard-looking guard to the left handed forks unfortunately.
lambro wrote:I had Skipper forks on my PX,

Shaun.
Sorry to go off topic, but that rear disc setup you have looks great. Where did that come from?
Garbs

Some brilliant replies here, thank you.
I'm not afraid to go as radical as I can/want, but I'd say with whatever I do, its got to be about the handling first, looks secondary.
One thing I'm not keen on is lambretta forks in a vespa, just doesn't do it for me.
I've had a look on the scooter and service website and they don't sell converted automatic forks, just shortened px forks, which is another option.
I've spoken to kris green at mental engineering and he certainly knows his stuff when it comes to frame work etc and he's advised me that if I do use runner forks, a section of the frame will need cutting out to allow for turning, which doesn't bother me.
Thanks lads.
lambro

Ginch wrote:Yes there's no way you can fit a standard-looking guard to the left handed forks unfortunately.
lambro wrote:I had Skipper forks on my PX,

Shaun.
Sorry to go off topic, but that rear disc setup you have looks great. Where did that come from?
Rear disc was made by my mate that did the front end.
Clever chap, and a wizard with making one off bits.
hobospeed

Ginch wrote:Yes there's no way you can fit a standard-looking guard to the left handed forks unfortunately.
I and some of the guys from SIP would beg to differ

https://vimeo.com/groups/290916/videos/71576972
Garbs

What set up is in that picture please?
Juan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information