Tunnel

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

Hi

What is the best thing to use on a Vespa rally 200 tunnel

No 1 to clean it

No 2 to coat it

The limited amount of space make things very difficult.

Any pointers/advice will be greatfully received

Thanks for looking
weeks

Sorry to state the obvious but I guess it depends on how bad the internals are ? ............. Ive seen totally spotless to tea-bag rotten.

Personally I tapped the outer tin work with a hide hammer and removed any loose rust ect then coated it with waxoyl and poured in a bit of old engine oil just enough to brush cover the floor ect ............. This was about 15 years ago.

Last time I looked it was still covered and so was I after threading a cable up through the frame :roll: ......... At this point i doubled up with some ACF50 spray which ive been told is pretty good.

Good luck and keep us update on your project

Cheers
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

As Weeks said.

In my re-build, the tunnel looked and tapped out in good condition. So before doing anything else, I melted the Waxoyl in a tub sat in boiling water. Then I poured the fluid Waxoyl into the tunnel, jiggled the frame about and kept blasting the inner tunnel with a hot air blower to keep everything fluid.

A word of warning though. For the next few weeks, the smell of the waxoyl permeated the whole of my open plan office, which nearly started a riot. That riot came later as oil and petrol then consumed the air.

But the other problem was that when I threaded the loom and cables through the tunnel, or did any work within that void, my hands were caked up with the sticky waxoyl. So much so that I had to wash it off and that's not easy, before I could do anything else.

However, I feel confident that it works, but next time I would put all the cables/loom in before adding the Waxoyl and leave in a ventilated space.
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

If you have / or have access to an air compressor, then buy yourself one of these; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/33145605 ... ue&ff13=80 - and a tin of this; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hammerite-Wax ... 1209905448.... makes the job so much easier & the long nozzle attachment means you can get right into the hardest to reach areas of the frame tunnel....
Just heat the tin of waxoyl in a bucket of hot water for 20 mins prior & away you go.... best to do it outside though as the waxoyl stinks! ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information