Stiffy

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

I have just tried to fit the 25% stiffer front spring 190mm, to my front end and it is impossible, there is no way its going to fit. Anyone else tried these springs.
Its on a GS150.
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

I remember having the same problem Gary... I know SIP do three different lengths in the stiffer spring (I think from memory its something like 190mm, 180mm & 160 or 165mm) so sounds like you need one of the shorter ones...
When I did this conversion on my Rally 200 I used the 190mm length spring & it fitted spot-on - but then on my Sprint V I had to use the mid length (180mm) spring - and on my Motovespa 150s I ended up having to use the shortest size which I think was about 160 - 165mm.... and yet they all share the same common type fork design?! :roll:
GLscoot

I thought that all those scooters shared the same front end set up as well. I even contacted the VVC asking why one of my scooters had a 190mm and the other 180mm front spring. The answer was apparently due to the availability to materials and suppliers.

I think I may just cut 10mm of my front spring. On the stiffer spring it may need to be more.
djh66
Main scooter: 150 special

I'm just about to fit a 180mm spring to my VNB cause its had the 10" conversion, but still on an 8" (165mm) spring and tyre hits the inside of mudguard when breaking
Bring Me Sunshine COYH
djh66
Main scooter: 150 special

I'm just about to fit a 180mm spring to my VNB cause its had the 10" conversion, but still on an 8" (165mm) spring and tyre hits the inside of mudguard when breaking
Bring Me Sunshine COYH
GLscoot

I went back to a standard 190mm spring (not stiff) and i think I have sorted the problem. The top fixing bracket on the spring, has to be fitted correctly and as much of the M8 thread through the forks as you can get, putting pressure on the spring should move the thread up, you may need to hit the plate section with a flat screwdriver and hammer. Otherwise you have a 'bow' in the spring. I think with the stiffer spring its not so easy to move this plate once in place.
Richjak

Glad I read this as I thought it was just me. I also brought the uprated SIP spring for the front of my Sprint to be used in conjunction with a BGM front shock after 3 days or sweating straining and swearing I gave up and cut it down to the standard length. Finally got it fitted and it is simply too hard for general road use. Ended up buying a brand new standard spring locally and fitted that instead. After adjusting the BGM shock to match I finally have the firm suspension I was after.
BOTAK ITU INDAH.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information