full of oil inside selector box

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
soulboy
Main scooter: t5 172 and a bit more

scoot jumps out of gears and and sometimes wont even select a gear.. now ive put that down to a knackered cruciform but my worry is inside the selector box is full of oil I don't think that's right
Speed Demon
Dealer

Supposed to have oil in it, but not be 'full', however it will be if you tip the scooter on one side as it can flow through the bearing. Sounds like the least of your problems :)
Get to SULK
soulboy

hello sticky how r ya the cruciform is as round as the moon so that's good just remind me how I get the selecter rod out :oops:
goldeneye

remove gears, (keep in order) put a spanner or flat bar through the slot in the layshaft to give you something to grip onto, and use a 14mm spanner (I think its that size off me head) on the flat of the selector rod ..IT"S A LEFT HAND THREAD. undo, remove rod and cruciform, repeat in reverse, with a drop of locktite on the rod to keep it nice and tight on the cruciform.
soulboy

that's what im on about ive done all that the rod is off the cruciform but I cant get it out of the shaft shouldn't it just pull off
lambro

soulboy wrote:that's what im on about ive done all that the rod is off the cruciform but I cant get it out of the shaft shouldn't it just pull off
Should slide out now, but they get burred and stick in there.
You will need to force/persuade it out of the shaft.
soulboy

thanks mate I think I need to remove the shaft from the engine ..thanks fellas ;)
goldeneye

yeah, they can get burred on the end, I put a small chamfer on the rod to stop this happening.
soulboy

I think im gonna cry the threads have gone on the rod :x
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

It is recommended that you replace the rod and the cruciform anyway, as long as you can get it of the cruciform & out of the drive shaft. Just make sure you buy original Piaggio parts, do not be tempted to buy the cheap shite otherwise you will be doing this job again in about 6 months.

If the cruciform is that bad, I would also be checking the primary and each gear cog. If you have dropped the engine remove the whole lot and give your primary a shake and check all the rivets are ok.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information