Project Rally 180... WTF do I do now!?...

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
goldeneye

my suggestion. buy a gas mig set. get some old panels to practice on , and do this Rally 180 as a labour of love. there arnt many about, so take your time , and do it a bit of a time. itll be great in the end.
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

goldeneye wrote:my suggestion. buy a gas mig set. get some old panels to practice on , and do this Rally 180 as a labour of love. there arnt many about, so take your time , and do it a bit of a time. itll be great in the end.
I ain't no welder Goldeneye... set me loose on that with gas mig set & all I'll end up is a s**t load more holes ;)

Me mate said it would make a good sprinter project coz it's a light as f@@k :lol:
cartmel808

Muttley McLadd wrote:Have you got any pre blasting photos?
Here's how it looked before I stripped it - but got no pics of it stripped pre-blasting...

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
goldeneye

wow, looked alright actually! shows what you buy eh! (luckily my three are all sound as ive built /chosen the bits myself) I"d still give it a go, 180"s are getting rare, it might be a pain in the arse , but I would do it if I were you.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Didn't look too bad, maybe just as well you striped it ..
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
cartmel808

The biggest problem area is the rear 'engine side' quarter - the lower third, of which - from rear of frame tunnel right round to the tale is proper crispy & will all need cutting out & replacing - I've seen the tale section half's for smallies, & something like that would be ideal - but not seen the same anywhere for largeframes?

The battery side rear quarter has some small issues, but only in isolated areas & nowt that would worry a decent metal worker.
Frame tunnel looks to be very solid though & the leg shields are surprisingly very straight.

I've got to say though - whoever it was that sculpted & grafted all that bodge & filler onto it back in the day did a commendable job. lol

goldeneye

get in touch with pete gavi (GAVI 4T on here) he"ll sort that for ya. great painter as well.
ArmandTanzarian

cartmel808 wrote:The biggest problem area is the rear 'engine side' quarter - the lower third, of which - from rear of frame tunnel right round to the tale is proper crispy & will all need cutting out & replacing - I've seen the tale section half's for smallies, & something like that would be ideal - but not seen the same anywhere for largeframes?

The battery side rear quarter has some small issues, but only in isolated areas & nowt that would worry a decent metal worker.
Frame tunnel looks to be very solid though & the leg shields are surprisingly very straight.

I've got to say though - whoever it was that sculpted & grafted all that bodge & filler onto it back in the day did a commendable job. lol

I've seen repair patches, maybe they can be adjusted to fit a Rally. Even if not, its all fixable if you find the right person for the job

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VESPA-RALLY-2 ... 1173317129

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... r_pv153481
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
cartmel808

goldeneye wrote:get in touch with pete gavi (GAVI 4T on here) he"ll sort that for ya. great painter as well.
Is that the lad in Darlo?
weeks

cartmel808 wrote:
goldeneye wrote:get in touch with pete gavi (GAVI 4T on here) he"ll sort that for ya. great painter as well.
Is that the lad in Darlo?
Cant confirm that Peters forum name is what Jeff has written but id confirm Peter Gavi is from Darlo and does some excellent work.

Good luck with the Rally fella
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information