Can This Be Done to a GS150 or fit Quattrini

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Image7dd6438e-7534-4fa3-a057-a819ac1c4ace
Image01dd0a5c-396c-485b-9c51-4d1bd49bafc3

This was the manifold I was thinking of fitting along with a PHBH 24mm Carburettor. Just for the sake of it, no other reason and to prove you can fit modern parts to a GS150. The manifold base will be trimmed down as it si to big and there is no need for the oil pump cover.
guygrrr
Main scooter: 1980 Vespa P187

I'm always interested in the path less traveled, so I will be intrigued to see how this develops.

As you may already know, Sip have a DRT up gear kit for those looking to pursue a Quatrini powered GS.

Here it is now!
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... +_40432940
----------------------
more can do, less doodoo.
Yanker

Like the approach too. Have you looked at the stud/spacing on the 3 stud Malossi Vespa PK reed manifold as an option? It is quite compact so may offer a basis for reed under the panels rather than a custom manifold. Malossi reed block size is also ideal for the 24/25mm carb size.....
GLscoot

I don't think this will be a engine built over night and may take a few months to build as I am also building an original GS150 engine & repairing my crash damaged scooter from last year and so cash & time are a factor. As you can see anything with GS on the label seems to cost 20% more than any other Vespa part.

Yes I have seen these aftermarket parts for the GS150 clutch & primary, cheers.

From speaking to guys in the 60's and a little reading on the net, the GS150 engine could easily reach 60+ with a little fettling, these days I doubt it due to the wear & tare of the engine parts and especially carburettor as these parts are only available as second hand and if you can find NOS parts they cost a fortune, carbs go for £350+ As they are making barrels again, not good quality, and bigger pistons to go with these barrels, I thought about fitting a similar size modern carb & manifold to start with and then look at the Quattrini (which I know can be done) I don't think space is a problem regarding the height of the carb & manifold as you can see the height of the original manifold, carb & airbox is pretty tall. Its getting the correct manifold so there is minimal work done on the barrel.

How easy is it to cut weld and tap a thread into a cast iron barrel.

The answer to this could be to open up the port on the barrel and make a plate and bolt the modern manifold to this plate.
shamrockexpress

I have a spare GS engine I started playing with a few years ago but due to time restraints put it on the back burner!!!!
I was using a reedvalvle pinasco cast iron kit with modified spacer to take gilera runner rubber manifold and using the mikuni 20.5mm carb which should be ample as it can turn out 21hp on a 180 runner plus they are cheap and plentiful from old typhoon 125 and hexagon engines. What held me up at the time was electronic ignition options which were not available then which are now..........
Anyway in the midlle of three lambretta engines so wont be doing vespas this year but I am most certainly watching this space good luck and keep the ideas coming!!!!!!!!
Yanker

GLscoot wrote: How easy is it to cut weld and tap a thread into a cast iron barrel?
I've drilled and tapped various fooked Lambretta knackered stud drillings for Tyme-Sert (The Wurth Solid Wall Inserts) easily. Just make sure there is enough surrounding material for the job, obviously preff with a pillar drill, but have succeeded with a hand held in one of those cheap pillar type holders too.....I would avoid any welding in proximity to the bore to avoid distortion though. Perhaps OK for a bit more on that inlet providing you can accommodate a re-bore to correct any distortion....
GLscoot

Image[url=https://flic.kr/p/rDdejW]
Vespa GS150

After all my efforts a night on the SIP website and I find this manifold, so purchased it straight away with my credit funds and fitted to my GS150 Messerschmitt, still needs running in properly as it has just went through a engine rebuild. With the remade barrel and Gran Sport bigger piston I shall be getting everything ported and matched to see how much of a difference there is. What I will add, theres no more 2T on the floor and it starts first kick.

The carb is a dellorto 24mm phbh, its all I had, probably too big, so looking for an alternative.

Apart from SIP, does anyone know where I can get a rubber manifold, internal diameter 30mm on one side and 35 on the other side.
Manos

Nice!

You can also post some pictures of the whole vespa if you like!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

I used a 90 degree piece of radiator hose to do a manifold and a 25mm dellorto with ramair filter.
GLscoot

soosh wrote:I used a 90 degree piece of radiator hose to do a manifold and a 25mm dellorto with ramair filter.
I have used a 32mm car radiator hose, soaked in boiling water and it has stayed on, but for how long.

Vespa GS150 Messerschmitt

Vespa GS150 Messerschmitt
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information