Delving into VSE1M

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
gaz_powell

I like this already !!

2.5mm rings are standard P200 and still easily available no problem

Bit of blow past but cylinder bore looks in good nick - I`m sure you will be checking the bore wear before reassembly.

whats the intention with the ignition - change to PX electronic type or retain existing ?
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Gaz, it runs really well as it is. No intention of swapping out the ignition until/ if it packs in. Good shout about piston to bore clearance. I was just planning on slapping in new rings and small end bearing :-0
weeks

storkfoot wrote:Gaz, it runs really well as it is. No intention of swapping out the ignition until/ if it packs in.
FEMSA rules ;) ................. Good luck with the maintenance mate
storkfoot

Rings, bearings, seals and a few other bits and bobs on order. The rings had me confused though. I spent 10 minutes searching for 66.0 mm ones :oops:
gaz_powell

Must admit 66.4 is a strange starting point for a bore !!

You can be forgiven !!
storkfoot

I managed to find time to split the casings and have a look inside. So far, I don't think I have found anything to worry about.

The gearchange has been very precise and easy. However, the cruciform looks a bit worn. Should I replace?

Also, the Christmas tree, where it engages with the kickstart mechanism, there is a pronounced lip. I'm assuming this is normal and nothing to worry about?

GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

i always replace cruciform when I split vespa casings & buy genuine piaggio part. I would also change the xmas tree springs, easy enough job.
storkfoot

OK, thanks. That seems sensible. The cush drive springs is why I split the casings. I suspect they are shot but I'll find out for definite this week
gaz_powell

Paul

The cruciform on the early gearbox is a weak point (compared to the stronger EFL type) - defo change it and as GL said use only a genuine one (wasp) and a cush drive repair kit. Dont worry about the lip on the xmas tree. More so check the loose kickstart cog/gear - change it if showing signs of rounding and the kickstart buffers.

Gaz
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

just out of interest, did these engines not have a clutch oil throw inside.

agree replace kickstart cog as well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information