Needle bearings

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Blackhawk
Main scooter: T5 Classic

Any tips for getting the needle bearings back in the front spring on a 150s? I've tried holding them in place with grease but not having much luck. Are there any bearings in a cage available.

Ta.
goldeneye

do you mean the loose needle bearings on the xmas tree? a dollop of grease and work them round with a small screwdriver works for me.
Blackhawk

If that's the input gear shaft then no. The front spring where the shaft that holds the brake shoes runs through. Tricky little buggers and tow rows of them :(
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

You mean the front axle?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Blackhawk

It has a spyware spring and damper. The needle bearings go in the bottom of the spring.
Yanker

Blackhawk wrote:Any tips for getting the needle bearings back in the front spring on a 150s? .
FFS! Where are the needle bearings in relation to the 'front spring' on one of those? Drip them in?
Yanker

Blackhawk wrote:It has a spyware spring and damper. The needle bearings go in the bottom of the spring.
OK, clear then: I would reccomend rivveting them in: you need inner surfaced hardened 4mm dia 50mm diaplosing temporal rivvets to get the job done right. Normal ones usually work OK though if you are not fussy.
Blackhawk

Ah, separate not spyware.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Not easy, there should be a small sleeve that goes in first, sits roughly in the middle and has two small holes to allow the grease to spread around the needle bearings. The only way is to use grease and loads of patience. The other way is to replace the part the holds the bearings and use the one that comes with a brass bush, it still has the grease nipple and so won't wear out the brass bush. I will post a picture as soon as I can, of the part.
i would also replace the Spring with the 25% or 33% stronger spring, cost around £35 in chrome or steel.
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

You need to throw that old spring in the bin & get one of these.... http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... ing_pv0707

And then one of these.... http://www.sip-scootershop.com/main/bas ... r=71080000

And also one of these.... http://www.sip-scootershop.com/main/bas ... r=71017001

For 'approx' £135.00 outlay (depending on where you buy from) the spring & damper upgrade is one of the best things you can do to your type of fork & will make for a much improved front end. :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information