Water Cooled Suzuki 220 MRB

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
jonny snatchsniffer

nah hes got a job with some works racing team prepping the motors i think, and hasnt got the time
mickjr

any updates or photos
and set up(carb/exhaust and so on)
Adspeed

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:Not sure how our dyno compares to PM Tuning.....but we will of course run it and see what it kicks out now.

Any news? Been ages and no update, dyno graph by chance?
Gunny

Still in the workshop as it's got loads of work doing just replacing engine casing . it,s got engine side disc brake mounting and loads other work just to make it match existing casing.
Also loads of fabrication and welds to strenghen the casings as we don't want them to open up again
Lots of time trouble and money !!!! :bouncing: :bouncing:
bawjaws

id like to see some pics of the water pocket arrangement if you have them, do the fins stay on or cut off?,, reason i ask is because id like to do a watercooled conversion sometime soon, ps. where you from gunny?
Gunny

Your best bet is ask Sean if he'll post them mate as i don't have any photos of the scooter or engine .
By the way i'm from Glasgow area but live in Edinburgh.
Cheers PTFC. :bouncing: :bouncing: :bouncing:
mickjr

how are you getting on shaun,any update and photos and what extras are you going to do.
mick
Gunny

Any photos DAN ? :bouncing:
225worb
Main scooter: Vespa 225, Falc , 230 S2

Just gone through and had a good read and look and the unfortunate cracks and breakages ! ! Doh !
I had a similar engine misshap on my malossi 225 ....
First noticed that there was a hairline crack inside the crankcase mouth when is had to replace the ring pieces , i thought Na ! that'll be fine as long as its bolted together tight ! ! Hmmmmmm
Anyway then i noticed the stator plate kept having to be replaced ( 3 times ..dont ask ! !) because it kept cracking and rubbing on the flywheel .then i noticed a crack from the top of the case allllllllll the way down about 2" to the right of the crank tapper ...
At this point I couldnt strip it because in about a weeks time i was going to be riding from Rimmini to Elba (Yes Italy and no i didnt ride down from England to Rimmini ) So the only cure was to specialy make up a piece aircraft steel and fabricate to the case to hold the cases together ...Ok i bolted a strip of metal to the cases and hoped it would hold ..
Hey and it worked 500miles ,loads of abuse and a burn out i made it back to Rimmini........
BUT a week or so later we rode to Bourton -on -the water for a Ment-To-Be record attempt that unfortunatly didnt happen so on the way home me and a friend where hammering it but im managed to cook my bike due to cylinder head leaking Doh ! Limped home and after removing the panel ,flywheel cover ect ect my specialy engineered seet strip had lost a fixing and i could now see crank throught e top of the caseing ....When stripping the rest of the engine the crack had worked itself down to the kick start shaft and the main case had a crack from where the reed was all the way down to the main bearing and cush drive spindle ,my newly fitted tuned malossi piston had cracked crown.....................
Another case sourced , welded ,tuned and put back together and dyno'd and just under 27 hp on tap she's a ripper and has been running a dream .....
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Original casing:

New casings, i took these pics mid-work, i belive they are now finished, but not seen them yet (due to snow):

Sean also working on a T5 cylinder.......prepping for a reedvalve conversion:

See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information