Water Cooled Suzuki 220 MRB

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

This little beuty rolled into the workshops today, chap from Scotland brought it down for Sean to have a look at. I'm not sure of all the details, but the basics are that its a rather trick water cooled mallossi 210/suzuki 220 conversion. Lovely scoot, lots of nice touches, rear disc brake, Lammy forks, RGV mudguard, rear lights intergrated into indicator lenses.....very nice.

Built by MB 9 years ago, a cracking piece of engineering from Mark Broadhurst, and 9 years later, still a great piece of kit that lots of Vespa owners drool at! :D

Its obviously been fiddled with since its original build, as we noted on stripping the top end that the base gasket hasnt been cut properly and actually blanks off one of the transfers.

Anyway, recently the owner arrived home from a rally, realised that a hose had come adrift and that the engine was cooked.....resulting in a non-runner. Sean has been tasked with the job of stripping the beast, assesing the damage and repairing and rebuilding.........check out the pics below.........

Scoot on arrival:

Nice Lammy forks and RGV mudguard:

Trick rear brake:

Awesome work, and light flywheel....although the stator plate behined it was rattling loose! :shock:

Signed and dated by Mark:

Cylinder head cover removed:

Cylinder head removed.....but soaking wet, studs were less than finger tight, we reckon the loose hose cooked the cylinder and head, and blew water through the seals into the cylinder:

Cool cylinder porting in this sleeve, but bore is now drenched since customer cooked it:

Another view:

Standard Mallossi 210 for comparison:

Another view, MB vs Standard:

MB exhaust port:

Standard 210:

Someone fitted a new gasket....but it blanks of some of the transfers?

Sadly, all this power has been eating up the engine casings.....cracks are appearing, so its not looking good:

So there you go, 9 years later and classic engineering still something to drool over......a hose gone adrift has cooked the head, a loose stator may have fooked the timing, and the power is stressing the casings. A bit of TLC from Mr Brady will see this 220 monster back on the streets soon........tearing up the tarmac and snorting as it once did. :D 8-) ;)
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
e type

nice :flaming:
sean brady scooters
Dealer

UPDATE!!!

Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
C*NTSPEED
Main scooter: vespa ts 125/200

sean brady scooters wrote:UPDATE!!!

thats just the same as where my old casings went kaput
GEMINI S.C.
BLACK WIDDA'S S.C.
drunkmunkey6969

I guess its just a lot of power for weak casings...............hence this months Scootering mag article on the chap that CNCd his own.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
paul-ebsc

yeah i done that to my malossi 166 engine, then drove it back from scarborough to edinburgh. Only realised when i went to clean the engine up a bit. :roll:
sean brady scooters
Dealer

before stripping this engine..............some cracks were clearly visible...............
i expected more.........and told the customer.........Alan from scotland ..that this was really likely...............................
upon stripping the motor down............
more was found.................as in the pics............

unfortunatly in my oppinion these are just not repairable................
they are not just simple cracks..................

due to some undue forces/stresses in the casings these have not only cracked ,but have opened up by 1 or 2 mm..............
so making them impossible to re aline..............
i was extpecting to find that some cogs/teeth in the gearbox had let go and jammed ,causing the above destruction.....................but the gear box is fine............no teeth missing..........
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
tony
Main scooter: 90ss

I'm sorry...What am I supposed to be drooling at? The posted barrel appears to have less port area than the standard one and with more cc to fill.
Sponsors: Performance Tuning. Ve Uk. Scooter Center Koln. LTH . DRT
drunkmunkey6969

tony wrote:I'm sorry...What am I supposed to be drooling at? The posted barrel appears to have less port area than the standard one and with more cc to fill.
Now, now Tony. :D

The smaller secondary cylinder transfers may not be as wide....but they are all taller than standard....so when you have the cylinder in hand, you can see that it does have more cylinder wall transfer port area than standard. Exhaust port is bigger in all respects, as are spigot and case transfers. :frog:

As for drooling, i was merely singing the praises of the work that has gone into the conversion, and the scoot as a whole....its a cracking bit of kit (litteraly :D ).

OK, so Scooter tuning is having a great time right now, lots of trick kits for all scoots (Falc, Quatrrini, RB, RT etc) and exchanging of info online.....but back in 2000 this would have been the muts nuts, and a few would still like something similar (Liquid cooling) on their scooters......heat being the common enemy.

Just nice to see something done that has had a lot of work, effort and engineering skill put into it. ;)
Gunny

Sean i've got a new set of casings coming to ya via sip. No point in using old ones.
Is their anyway you can reinforce the weak spots on the new engine block to try and prevent it happening again ??

Enjoy yourself

Gunny :baddevil:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information