t5 engine

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
stanspeed

built a new engine for me t5 with a 54mm stroke crank and reed valve with a malossi 172 kit and a mmw head what would be the best packer plate or and head gasget combination to use im asking this before i buy the packer or head gaskets.
fastfrog
Main scooter: T5 mk1, SS180, PX200 millenium

check first your timing and squish then order. several ways to get the right combination.
Size matters!
stanspeed

hi fast frog firstly can i say ive seen your work and its the great work that u do wish i could do half of what u do.right timing is set up at 14 degrees and put a standard malossi base gasket on and was lent a 1.5mm head gasket all bolted up and and me squish if im reading gauge right im getting 1.1mm had it running gose ok but ive been told to go for a 1mm base and 1mm head gasket but getting confused as there is like u said differant combinations to use,u seem to no more about set than me what would u suggest .many thanks stan.
fastfrog
Main scooter: T5 mk1, SS180, PX200 millenium

I'm confused...
First 14° is a bit low. You should fit your stator timing at 16°.
Second: check your malossi base gasket thickness. It should be around 0,3-0,5mm... then things will be easier to match.
Size matters!
soulboy
Main scooter: t5 172 and a bit more

keep the timing stock someone on here told me to change it when i put a malossi on it and it cost me a piston :evil:
smoore-gt225
Main scooter: lambretta GT200

stanspeed wrote:built a new engine for me t5 with a 54mm stroke crank and reed valve with a malossi 172 kit and a mmw head what would be the best packer plate or and head gasget combination to use im asking this before i buy the packer or head gaskets.
Hi you've said you fitted a mmw head did you do away with the o'ring and fitted a normal head gaset
cheers steve
goldeneye

My Malossi 172 runs a MMW cylinder head with no gasket, just the "O" ring. I did drill one stud hole to use the T5 head dowell, as the MMW head isn't made to accommodate the head dowell. pricey at nearly £160 , but its been on five years and never even had a hint of pinking , piston crown looked perfect on last strip down. runs a JL pipe and 28mm delly .
lambro

soulboy wrote:keep the timing stock someone on here told me to change it when i put a malossi on it and it cost me a piston :evil:
I run all my tuned Vespa's at 16.
More than just timing that can hole a piston.
Jack221
Main scooter: PX221

Sounds to me like Fastfrog was first talking about port timing. If you want it to go as fast as possible then a 1.5mm base gasket. For city riding a 0.5mm base gasket. Decide what kind of riding you want it for, then get the head sorted to give a squish of no more than 1.0mm.
Vespa est ieiunas, quia semper operaturi
Jack221
Main scooter: PX221

lambro wrote:
soulboy wrote:keep the timing stock someone on here told me to change it when i put a malossi on it and it cost me a piston :evil:
I run all my tuned Vespa's at 16.
More than just timing that can hole a piston.
Proving the rule that advancing the timing will need bigger jetting!
Vespa est ieiunas, quia semper operaturi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information