malossi 210 longstroke

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
MCH
Main scooter: street racer px

I originally was going to longstroke my malossi 210, but instead decided (due to lack of funds at the time) to build it as a standard set up,

anyway looking to make it more of a tourer by longstroking it, just read this thread on here regarding port timings etc http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic ... e&start=30

but just want to know the do's and don'ts, the in's and out's of stroking a malossi 210, its the original kit, not a mhr or worb 5 btw,

from what i have gathered already, the best idea is to put a 1.5 HEAD gasket in, not a base gasket, as using a head gasket will make it more torquey and better for touring,

but i just want to know whats the best way around it, as iv read like on the other thread its better to try and get the port timings correct,

currently set up i have is -

malossi 210
pinasco 57mm crank
phbh 28 - jetted to suit on dyno
22/68 gearing
oversize 120/90/10 rear wheel
t5 4th gear
t5 7 spring banded clutch,
elecy start flywheel
sip head - 1.2 squish

got 17.9 bhp on the dyno,
but i have a compression problem as it pinks when rolling off the throttle, so looking at getting a lower comp head,
1469leach
Main scooter: jet200/rapido 225

I got a 60 crank in my malossi, here is the spec-30mm delly carb,rz jl right hand mark one,squish 1.55mm,ign timing at 16deg BTDC,4.77 final drive with s1 trye which is a bit longer than yours.Port timings are ex 181 deg,trans 124.6 deg.Power comes in at about 5300rpm and revs strong till 7800 in third gear.just a few questions about the motor you have-what exhaust do you have and what is the ignition timing set at?
Just built my mates as well which appeared a miss match of components on paper but it pulls strong too.

cheers Jeff.
MCH

thanks for replying,

iv got a JL sip performance left hand pipe on mine,

timing is at 18 degrees

looking to long stroke it in a couple of weeks
1469leach

Try knocking the timing back a little.a lot of people say the same thing about pinking when rolling the throttle off,it seems a problem where the motor is still at the rpm where the expansion chamber is sucking fuel in and we effectively shut off the fuel supply by rolling off the throttle and use the slide/slow running jet to supply fuel.I have fitted a remote choke kit to both my scoots to help aliviate this problem.Do a search on here Darrell Taylor sells them.
MCH

yer i tried taking the timing back a bit and it then ran like shite,

just wondering what gain I would get from longstroking the malossi
1469leach

With the cylinder head gasket it is a bit more torquey low down and more pull when not in the power band.I just did one for my mate and he said it was a lot better than the 57mm stroke ones he has had when not revving in the power band,him and his mrs went out the other day and he was amazed it just pulled on in forth up an incline on a open road from around 50 mph.His gearing is standard box with 36t fourth,final drive ratio of about 4.8.

Cheers Jeff
MCH

yer thats what im after, more torque rather than having to thrash it to move,

can't remember what ratio mine is putting out again,

its 22/68 gearing (px 125 equivalent i think)

but running a 120/90/10 oversize tyre (german style) can't remember the circumference, i can measure it again to double check,

t5 fourth,

i think i tried that gearing calculator on scooter help but because of the obscure tyre im running dunno how accurate it is,

tops out at 82mph on a sip digi speedo
1469leach

If the speedo is accurate then that's a good speed for a 18hp engine.dont expect much more from long stroking the motor.
MCH

i don't expect much more top end tbh,

just want to be able to sit at a speed when going to rallies without having to change gear all the time to get into the power band,

might look at the mods you can do to the piston if its worth it to get a few more bhps, but more interested in making the engine more of a tourer,
Norrie Bodge
Main scooter: GP-1971-Ts230/S2-1960-Ts230

Alter piston as worb5 do makes a great boost.
I run mine with 1.2mm packer .5mm head gasket & 2mm head squish..
Torquey as ;-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information