Dellorto PHBH Carburettor

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Managed one run with the new set up and it is still happening although later on than before. The first set up, it started to bog down, cough, splutter about half an hour into the journey, now it does this about 45mins into the journey. when I get it going and rev the engine its ok. So will replace the 48 jet with a 45 and see how that goes. The engine is excellent when out on the open road, but for work with the stop/starting and letting the scooter sit on idle all the time for about 20seconds its not very good.
Gary
Jack221
Main scooter: PX221

Gary, Sounds like you need to try one more atomiser smaller, AS262. The slightly smaller pilot will help but won't be enough. Put in the 45 pilot anyway and with an AS262 and recheck the half throttle and full throttle plug chops and adjust needle clip and main jet to new atomiser. :D
Vespa est ieiunas, quia semper operaturi
GLscoot

Ive just realised that i said AS atomiser, its actually an AV atomiser in my carburettor, will that make a difference. Anyway I have changed it to a AV262 atomiser and left the jet at 48, just to see how it goes. Needle still on last slot. This is starting to get on my tits.
With the AV264 atomiser it was nearly there, when it started to bog down I just needed to rev the engine a little with the clutch in and it would go fine.
Gary
ducksta

hi gaz just take it to be dynoed its quicker in the long run
live life your a long time dead
tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

dont know where you are, but if your Gloucester way then Gary at shiney red tuning is damned good, have it sorted and not expensive
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
GLscoot

I would love to put it on a dyno, but to my knowledge the nearest one to me would be Leeds i think. I do not know off any in Glasgow or even Scotland. Just taken it for another short spin and I don't think the AV262 is any better than the 264, in fact it may be worse. Going to move the needle down a notch and see if that helps, if not put the 264 back in and the 45 jet. I'm determined to get this sorted because its brilliant on the open road, just shiite in traffic.
gary
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Have a look down the inlet and see if there is any scuffing or heat stains on the crank web
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Doesn't have to be a dedicated scooter shop to do a Dyno. I'm sure there's one close to you......dyno's the way forward
Jack221
Main scooter: PX221

Gary, Sounds like you are getting there just keep at it. The AS is better than AV for a 2 stoke and especially for lower rpm running. You might want to try a much smaller pilot to see if you are on the right track. Something like a 42 will show if this is the problem. If you cange to an AS you will need to move the clip down from the AV position for the mixture to stay the same.
Vespa est ieiunas, quia semper operaturi
GLscoot

wack 63 wrote:Have a look down the inlet and see if there is any scuffing or heat stains on the crank web
To check the crank web, is easier said than done. The engine is in a GS150 and so the crank manifold sits under the frame of the scooter and is not easy to remove or get a closer look at the crank. Would probably need to drop the engine, to get a good look. Why?
mick1 wrote:Doesn't have to be a dedicated scooter shop to do a Dyno. I'm sure there's one close to you......dyno's the way forward
My good mate Ducksta has found a dyno shop for me, about 10/12 miles away. Will get in touch with them over the next week.
Jack221 wrote:Gary, Sounds like you are getting there just keep at it. The AS is better than AV for a 2 stoke and especially for lower rpm running. You might want to try a much smaller pilot to see if you are on the right track. Something like a 42 will show if this is the problem. If you cange to an AS you will need to move the clip down from the AV position for the mixture to stay the same.
Will give that a try, will go for the AS264 as the AV264 was far better than the AV262 (that started to bog down more or less immediately and had to replace that after a mile or so back to the 264) With the AS atomiser which notch on the needle do you suggest I try first, still on the far first notch at the moment, will also purchase a few more pilot jets, I have 50,48,45 although not tried the 45 as of yet, I have been changing one thing at a time.

So after todays run, with the 48 pilot and the AV262 atomiser, it lasted all of a mile and I was lucky to get it to work. Had to change to the AV264 and replace the spark plug (B7ES, I think) and the scooter ran fine. Did fit the RAM air filter as the other one was spitting 2/stroke every where. Installed a fuel line on/off switch so not to big a deal now to get into the carb.

Will still try and fix it myself and also take it to be dynode as soon as I can. Will keep you informed.

Cheers Gary
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information