42L2 T5 Conversion; Carb problem

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Arnie51

Hi all,

Now I've finally got the engine in, I have this problem with the carb that I need some help with please!

As you can see I can't get a filter in - I've tried other alternatives but the underlying problem is space. The side panels sits quite low and I really don't want something sticking out of the top of it.

I am loathed to cut the frame if it can be avoided.

Any ideas much appreciated

Cheers Andrew

fastfrog
Main scooter: T5 mk1, SS180, PX200 millenium

unfortunately no other solution than to cut the frame...
Size matters!
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

DONT CUT THE FRAME

I have done a few of these conversions on a GS150 frame. What engine is it you are using, reed valve or rotary. There are plenty of solutions.

Gary
Avantone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Long shot... If you're using the standard carb, could a collar be machined that would allow you to fit a forward facing / horizontal Lambretta rubber elbow and breath sweet filter arrangement?
Tony

Download the (Original) Lambretta Gearbox Visualiser
www.lambrettagearbox.com
GLscoot

ImageVespa GS by GLscoot, on Flickr

This is a picture of my latest project which is now completed. LML reed valve engine with RD350 reeds & MMW manifold, I think the same as yours. What you do need to do is cut the flywheel side of the casing, which has no bearing on the overall look or performance of the engine. To be honest the solution is simple if you think about it.
check out my thread http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24207 Im sure there are more pictures on there.
Gary
Fruitjuice

You have a GS sidepanel, his sidepanel is nowhere as high as yours and has a lot less space underneath to fit a carb...
If you use the reedvalve conversion and get the tube of the manifold rewelded you might get the carb inbetween. You could also 'bend' the lip of the frame in a bit to get some more clearance...
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming: "WOW, WHAT A RIDE"
Arnie51

Hi all :-)

Thanks for all your replies.

I've cut the base plate of the air filter (see photo) which has allowed a reasonable amount of travel on the suspension. I was just thinking of fitting a gauze filter in between this and the carb? Or I'll fabricate some sort of elbow to attach a filter.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Andy

GLscoot

I'll post pictures of the distance on my set up between carb and frame. It's much the same as yours and there's no problem with the frame bottoming out on the manifold. The roads up here are fcking terrible so I think you will be ok. Why have you not fixed the shock and what length of distance bolt are you using. I didn't know there was less space behind the side panel on your scooter, I've only done these conversions on GS150's
If you can fabricate a air filter then go down that road, radiator hose with filter attached, you can buy it in all sorts of angles & colours.
Gary
Arnie51

I left the shock undone to show you all the travel I had on the suspension.

I'm currently running a 30mm spacer nut so could increase this but it will sit like a dragster unless anybody knows how I can raise the front?

Regarding the filter again I will get something made up to attach a filter too. Does anyone know what the little hole on the carb is and if can I cover it up?

Cheers Andrew
GLscoot

Andrew
Pictures of the frame clearance at the carb manifold

ImageIMG_3608 by GLscoot, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3610 by GLscoot, on Flickr

I have not bottomed out yet.

Gary
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information