Starter Motor Removal?

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

I'm wanting to remove the starter motor from a PX200e engine, as its going into a '65 Motovespa frame (without a battery) - so the electric start function will be redundant.
What I need to know is;
(1) Can I simply remove the starter motor & leave the starter gear on the flywheel without causing any issues - or will I also need to remove the starter gear from the flywheel?
(2) Does anyone do a dedicated blanking plug for the hole where the starter attaches to the casing?
hungdog

1) You can leave it on or take it off, real easy to just tap it off with screw driver working your way around edge of flywheel.
2) I cut a bit of a tin can up and used it as a blank, just to stop crap getting in there.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Maybe add a bit of heat to the starter ring before tapping off with screw driver. If you send me a PM i will send you a rubber grommet for the hole or as said before a piece of tin or perspex cut and drill the three m8 holes and fit, gaffe tape on the outside and inside is also good enough. Its basically to stop crap and most of all water being thrown up by the rear wheel into the stator.
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

Spot on - Cheers Lads..
goldeneye

the top of a knackered P200 piston , cut off, three holes drilled in and fastened to the studs, looks better from the outside. ring gear just taps off.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information