QUATTRINI M1XL

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

gadgetman wrote:How is this bike progressing not heard anything for a while
It's a finished now & running great...

Had an issue with the Vespatronc kit - so have now swapped that for a standard flywheel & stator with a HHPv4 programmable cdi from SIP.

I took it for a short blast out this morning - which is the first proper ride I've had on it since it was dyno'd a few weeks back - and the first time I've properly tested the engine & opened it up through the all gears.... and am really impressed with it.... came back with a git big stupid grin on me face :D

I've now swapped the JL Curley pipe that I had on it for one of the proper Quattrini pipes.
It did go well with the Curly pipe & sounded lovely, but it turned out to be more of a torquey touring exhaust.The motor was dyno'd @ just over 19hp & 17lb/ft of torque on Scooterotica's dyno with the JL Curly pipe - making power from just 3k and peaking @ around 6k.

So in pursuit of a bit more power I switched to the Quattrini pipe & its now making just over 21hp - torque has dropped a little to just over 15 lb/ft & power now starts @ 4.5k & peaks @ 7.5k so everything's moved 1500rpm up the range.
It pulls really strong through all the gears & can easily loft the front as it comes on pipe in 1st + 2nd - and if feels like it's got longer legs than it did with the JL pipe on.

Both results are pretty good for a little 172 kit - and (apart from the required mods to the casings) this kit is basically 'out of the box' with no further tuning work done to the barrel or piston - so there's still some scope to tune further yet...

Image005 by dent.graham, on Flickr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cartmel808

Bit of an update now that this is all up & running....
Day tripped Scarborough today on the Quattrini.... total round trip of 186 trouble free miles & I got chance to really put it through its paces.
It ran lovely all day & considering the kits in very standard state of tune, it goes like f@@k for a small block! I was clocking it with the GPS speedo app on me iPhone all the way back & managed to top it out @ 76mph... even the fuel consumption wasn't too bad (averaged 12miles per/ltr over the whole journey)
The only critisism I can level @ it is that it just begs for WOT all the time - so you end up to ragging the tits off it everywhere :shock:
sean brady scooters
Dealer

the torquey pipe plus taller gearing option would make for an easier ride and still give an equal top speed and even better mpg ..but anyways ,glad you are enjoying it graham ..
:)
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Morgan
Main scooter: T5 Vespa Mk1

Impressive !! Will the casings be up to the job or will they/have they been strengthened ?
cartmel808

sean brady scooters wrote:the torquey pipe plus taller gearing option would make for an easier ride and still give an equal top speed and even better mpg ..but anyways ,glad you are enjoying it graham ..
:)
Yep - it would easily pull taller gearing with the JL pipe Sean... it's monstering the standard 125 gearing, even with a 22t clutch - so I think PX200 gearing with shorter 4th will be the way to go...
cartmel808

Morgan wrote:Impressive !! Will the casings be up to the job or will they/have they been strengthened ?
The casings have had extra material welded on around the neck, prior to being matched to the cylinder transfers - but no other strengthening work done...
gadgetman

Sounds like you are enjoying it with the new set up. Mine runs a jl rz mk1 with a similar power band and has now done over 2000 miles all at full throttle lol or at least that's what it seems like. The only thing I would suggest is that you fit some kind of temp guage as these engines can suffer with poor cooling if fitted with trimmed flywheels.
scootnz
Main scooter: Vespa Super

Hi Cartmel808, just wondering what you did with the carb in the end? I am struggling to fit a carb in my M1XL quattrini and it may help to know what carb you used after all, or any modifications you had to do to make it work.
cartmel808

Tried a pwk type carb on it as well but that was worse... so stuck with the phbh 30 in the end.
I used the longest shock distance bolt I could find, and set the carb @ a slight angle so that it clears the frame as the rear suspension fully compresses.
Choke cable blend still rubs the frame @ times - but I can live with that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Did you fit a fuel pump or just go for the fast flow tap?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information