Slipping Vespa kickstart

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

Bought a Rally 200 engine (about 3 years ago) and was told that the kickstart slipped. So in the last couple of months and on my first strip of a vespa engine, I have replaced the kickstart cog and checked the main heavy kickstart spring and quadrant and all are OK. Put the engine back into the frame and its still slipping if I press too hard, as if slipping through butter. If I do it slowly then it engages all to the bottom.

After googling this problem, it looks like it may be a clutch issue. At this stage I don't have the clutch cable connected, so its not an issue of an over tight cable.

Has anyone else had a similar issue where it was the clutch. Furthermore, with the clutch sat motionless for at least 3 years, would a dry clutch show the same symptoms.

I know I can take out the clutch, once I get the tool, but would like some feedback first.

Many Thanks

Paul
fastfrog
Main scooter: T5 mk1, SS180, PX200 millenium

you're right: clutch or woodruff key issue.
I guess your clutch plate and springs must be worn out . As you need to remove your complete clutch to check it you'll know if woodruff key is still there or not....
Size matters!
Shaunbond

Could be that the clutch is compressed, if it was happening to the previous owner maybe they thought the issue was with the kickstart as you say and never sorted the clutch issue out.
Serial scooter rider...
VMSC Committed to Scootering for 25 years
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Shaunbond wrote:Could be that the clutch is compressed, if it was happening to the previous owner maybe they thought the issue was with the kickstart as you say and never sorted the clutch issue out.
Check the clutch lever and outer spring.
sean brady scooters
Dealer

my bet is that you will find the clutch stuck in and prob really worn out ,as in really grooved clutch bell
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
GLscoot

sean brady scooters wrote:my bet is that you will find the clutch stuck in and prob really worn out ,as in really grooved clutch bell
another possibility, when you remove the clutch case there is a brass plunger, if it has mushroomed or is very smooth its done, there should be a groove in the centre, the pressure plate on the clutch, it should be smooth, if there is a groove its done.
goldeneye

so you stripped the engine, but didn't take the clutch out to check it while you were on ?
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

Goldeneye, tell me about it. I'm kicking myself. It's one of my lesser qualities is impatience.
GLscoot

really, if anything goes wrong on a vespa its the clutch. not sure of the size of clutch on a Rally but Im sure its the same as a P2 so i would immediately replace it with a Cosa or splash out on a SIP. Yeh the cruciform goes but thats down to wear and tear.
Polossi220
Main scooter: Vespa PX220

Had similar prob recently clutch arm had seized in clutch cover so not returning fully
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information