up gearing

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
paul59hatter
Main scooter: px 125

if you put a t5 cog 3rd gear in a px125 would it make hill climbs a lot quicker! as my px is sluggish on gradiants
Jack221
Main scooter: PX221

Sounds like your PX125 is is perfect working order :lol:

I think most guys say the same thing. Changing the gearing is certainly not the answer, it just needs more torque. Before saying too much and getting it all wrong, which year is your 125? Do you want to keep it as a 125? What have you already changed from standard? Whats your ability or will you get someone else to do the work?
Vespa est ieiunas, quia semper operaturi
paul59hatter

dont want to go down the up jetting route and sports exhaust etc,,just need more poke up hills ( im a big bloke so can run faster) its a px125e standard model 2001,,im crap at mechanics so will need a cheap option
Muttley McLadd

paul59hatter wrote:just need more poke up hills ( im a big bloke so can run faster) its a px125e standard model 2001,,im crap at mechanics so will need a cheap option
What about something like a VFR800?

Let's face it.. a machine that weighs about 100kg, and a rider of a similar weight, is going to struggle up hills with a 125cc vespa engine.

Power/weight..
CakeAndArseParty
Jack221
Main scooter: PX221

I am a slim lad of 17 stone myself, so I know exacly what you mean by sluggish uphill on a standard 125 :) If you ever have to get the engine split for any reason there are a few free things you can do while you are in there to make more torque. The standard exhaust and carb will not need to be changed for what I think you are after!In the mean time, do you have the ability to take the barrel off?
Vespa est ieiunas, quia semper operaturi
lambro

do you have the ability to take the barrel off?
More importantly, the ability to put it back on later :lol:
paul59hatter

hum ill look in the haynes manuall,like i said not mechanically minded. just been told if i take it to someone who is a good mechanic just need to change 3rd gear cog for a t5 cog will give it more poke on hill climbs
sean brady scooters
Dealer

far simpler ,and a quicker and cheaper option that may give you better results is to just put a 150cc top end on it .
and besides ,i think that you are possibly mistaken about the T5 third/3rd gear advice ...
The T5 third uses 17/38 and so does the late px 125 and 150 also anyways
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
paul59hatter

been reading on forums 150cc top end seems much simpler and cheaper option,,,,would i still need to up jet it thoe
bazman
Playstation gamer tag: bazman70

paul59hatter wrote:been reading on forums 150cc top end seems much simpler and cheaper option,,,,would i still need to up jet it thoe
Oh yes!!
Get someone who knows better than internet forums to advise you ,as it sounds you haven't a Scooby about engines. Not sounding patronising , but ask around local scooter clubs :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information