ss180 no spark?

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
joey

i've got an ss180 not run for 40 years...i'm trying to get it going so it can be MOT'd and registered.
I can't get a strong spark from it? i've tried a nos coil,and another 6v coil which I know works,replaced points/condenser still only a weak spark...
If I put the red wire from the stater to earth and kick over there is a really good strong flashing spark..soon as I connect it all up next to nothing?
So 've got new HT lead,cap n plug.... I've tried disconecting other wires from juncton box..ignition n lights...?
Only thoughts are that its a battery model..must it have a charged battery to run...? I did connect a 6v battery charger to it...but no better...
Any suggestions before i fork out for vespatronic... cheers :mrgreen:
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

Nice scoot hope you get it sorted :D
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Have you done a continuity test on all your wires to make sure the wires are not damaged in any way. If you feel there is a hint of a spark, try squirting neat fuel down the plug hole tighten plug, hand tight should be enough and try starting the scooter. You may need to do this a couple of times. 20/30ml of neat fuel should be enough. If it starts let it run for 5mins or so, then kill the engine and try starting it as normal. I would also make sure the battery is fully charged, I think it should read about 6.5v on the multimeter.
There was an article in scooterist about 12months ago about vespa 6v electrics & rectifiers.
Dryballs

Not sure how the battery wiring loom works but I just converted my non battery SS stator to 12v.

I think the spark power coil on a standard stator is shared with the lighting coils. It's possible yours are a bit s**t

My conversion was easy as... My wiring loom and switches were already set up for a px engine so that part was already in place

I bought a bajaj stator from scootrs and just transferred all the coils over

My lights are mint as and spark is strong.

I'm sure you could set it up to work with your battery loom but have the ignition coil powered separately to the rest of the loom
joey

...given up on the old electrics...got a good trade on a vesptronic....good stuff but the instructions are pants.... where do you set the static ignition to? :mrgreen:
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Joey
Common problem with the vespatronic kits, took me weeks to get the gs150 to work properly. Not sure of the SS ignition switch, but the gs needed the 10 pole switch and not the 8 pole which the gs150 should have. Send me a PM if you have any more problems.
Gary
joey

...got the kit on and running...first time in 40 years!...alls good but now i've decided to change from the battery set up to direct lighting....and i can't find the diagram...? anyone got the diagram to show...?
joey

..got diagrams...still having a a bit of difficulty here...?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information