What should it be ?

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Bifter
Main scooter: vespa p210

Can anyone tell me what the best timing setting and jets should be for a vespa px 210 malossi with a mazzy crank (i think :? ) standard carb with foam external filter and a scorpion pipe ?
Not too sure whats in it at the moment but it don't seem that quick ,it will easy do 60 in third but then struggles to get much more than that once in top :cry:

And trouble is like i asked in another post there doesn't seem any dyno's round here and a trip to yorkshire is not a possibility im afraid
soulboy
Main scooter: t5 172 and a bit more

try it with out the filter
hungdog

T5 fourth ?
Norrie Bodge
Main scooter: GP-1971-Ts230/S2-1960-Ts230

Get a better pipe?
Had a scorpion on mine flew to 60+ in 3rd but flat as a fart in 4th?
Now using a PM-evo & pulls loads better
Bifter

Been thinking about a new pipe for a while ,might have to get myself a revolver
Jack221
Main scooter: PX221

The pipe is not the first thing I would try. As mentioned do you have a T5 4th? A malossi 210 will not pull a standard 4th without a lot of work. And a T5 4th is the quick way to the same result ;) When you are sure the gearing is ok put the timing on the IT mark and make sure the plug is nice and brown after a 30 second wide open plug chop. If it is still not pulling you are going to have to take the barrel off and jack it up. Some of the kits sit too low and the main transfer duration is then too short. If you dont want to mess about just add 0.5mm of gaskets to the one you have on and give it a try. If yours has the std Malossi head and bags of compression yours just might have this problem! After adding the base gaskets you will need to up jet a bit more!
Vespa est ieiunas, quia semper operaturi
Bifter

Don't think i have a T5 4th buy the way it rides although sometimes if you have it just right it will fly in 4th ,i do know it has had some porting but i also think it is the standard head as it has the piaggio stamp on it .Where would i get a packer or could i just put another base gasket on ?
Sounds like it might need to go to someone with a bit more knowledge than me .I can rebuild an engine but knowing all the different things that can be done to make it go better would take me years
Jack221
Main scooter: PX221

It is difficult to tell a T5 fourth without a rev counter. I doubt you have a totally standard P200 head on there, often standard ones are opened out to clear the piston (and more). How does your compression feel after its been running?
If you just put another three or four standard malossi base gaskets on and take and it for a ride It will go better. You can get a real packer for next time you take it apart.
Make sure the plug colour is ok before thrashing it too much!
Vespa est ieiunas, quia semper operaturi
Bifter

Managed to get hold of Mr Paul Baker so a dyno run and tune for monday will hopefully sort some of it out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information