BGM Pro Shock, looks the biz, but doesn't fit!

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
wax

I just raided the kids piggie banks to buy a new shocker, stripped the vespa down into a thousand pieces, and the new BGM pro shocker, doesnt fit! The sun is out and i am getting more vexed by the second.

The caliper bolts stop the shock from fitting into the Grimeca back plate, as you can see........Its a Harry Barlow PK XL graft onto the original 152L2 forks. The standard shock fitted, just, but the gas tube bit stops the thing fitting.

Any help or advice would stop me tearing, what is left of, my hair out!
I don't want to keep up with modern traffic. I want to hoon past it, preferably on one wheel!
tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

not ideal but could you put a countersink into that part the caliper bolt goes through, then fit hi tensile countersunk socket cap bolt, should buy all the space you need, wouldnt have to countersink the bit that much, just enough to let the underside of the bolt head seat nicely, and hold with loctite as opposed to shakeproof washer??

please bear in mind Im looking at your pic and have never touched or sat on a Vespa let alone worked on one, so the above could be total tosh :)
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
soulboy
Main scooter: t5 172 and a bit more

HOW MUCH ARE THEM f..kin nice (no help I no ) :oops:
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

As said either countersink or I've used dome headed Allen screws in similar situations.
goldeneye

its not exactly a standard fork though is it, so hardly BGM"s fault. a dry build may have seen this problem, or a button head m8 allen bolt may give enough clearance.
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

Take out the washer and loctite the bolt. Looks to be just enough room. Or like others said counter sink or button head the bolt and call it done.
Juan

Was this a PK or PX version?
wax

Well, i took your advice and countersunk the bolts. We now have a (blue) Rizla gap between the bolt and the shocker. :D

It looks the nuts, but the only down side is that, if i ever need to take the caliper off, i will need to:

Remove the headset
disconnect the front brake hose banjo and speedo cable
Completely Remove the forks
Remove that stupid dust ring that stops you getting the mudguard off :roll:
Remove the mudguard
remove the upper and lower stock bolts
Then take the caliper off!

Repeat, in reverse order.

3 hours and lots of advance swearing later and i could change the pads.

Its a bit of an oversight from BGM me thinks.........
I don't want to keep up with modern traffic. I want to hoon past it, preferably on one wheel!
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

Having said that it looks the dogs dangles :grin: no pain no gain ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
gp200ts1
Main scooter: lambretta series 2

why should you have to f@@k around in the first place? if bgm were a good company they would have done the research and made the shock correctly to start with, yet another occasion when you have to fettle parts to fit when you have shelled out hard earned cash. should have sent it back as not fit for purpose and had a full refund inc original and return postage. if we keep accepting crap they will keep making it!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information