vespa flywheel

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
john

Hi 1980 vespa p150 with points all original. the flywheel has electronica embossed into it .... does this mean if you want to go electronic ign ...you only need to change stator and cdi... and flywheel will be ok ? thank you John
sean brady scooters
Dealer

no
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Thought all the P series was electronic ???
john

without sounding rude sean could you give me more than "no" just wondered why it would have electronic on the fly wheel ? i have not looked to see if there is some sort of pick up inside . So i need to buy the complete kit then including fly wheel ? thanks again
bazman
Playstation gamer tag: bazman70

I was under the impression some were interchangeable?
Although seem to recall the pick up on the flywheel for the points was well off in terms of matching up to the electronic stator.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Ducati Electronica (spelling?) is the company name and has no bearing on what type of ignition it is. Electronic ignition flywheels have an ignition pulse trigger built into the magnets (set in the flywheel body), whereas the points flywheels have a cam on the centre boss to open close points and send an ignition pulse. To my knowledge, none of the electronic and points flywheels are interchangeable, regardless of whether they look the same. This is certainly the case with the Ducati Eletronica flywheels for Lambretta and I see no reason why they would be any different for Vespa.

Adam
Juan

I've used a points model P range flywheel on an Electronic in the past with no issues before now. Whether there is more than 1 version I don't know as I've never looked into it but certainly on smallframes what appears to be a points flywheel can house a trigger as with 100 Sports and ET3's.
gaz_powell

"Ducati Electronica (spelling?) is the company name and has no bearing on what type of ignition it is" I agree with Adam I thought the points and electronic flywheels were different due to the way they work

Mind its ages since i saw a P Range points flywheel ! And there are loads of different genuine P Range flywheels been produced over the years.

Mick1 - early P125X and P150X ran points only the P200E was electronic (E for electronic) later the whole range got electronic and changed to PX125E/PX150E/PX200E and they became interchangable
goldeneye

ran a points flywheel on my last 177 motor with electronic ignition, big cam in the center, but it has the overlapping magnets for electronic pick up pulse. it even has the rubber bung inspection hole, still got it. got one with the inspection hole blanked off, but big cam and trigger magnets as well. they are heavy , much heavier than , say, a px disc leccy start flywheel. as gaz says , loadsa variations over the years , look for the 2 overlapping magnets, the cam on mine cleared the hole in the stator no bother. ive used 2 or 3 to make up cheap electronic ignition systems for people over the years. luck of the draw if you have one or not.
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information