VESPA PX Rattling noise from the clutch

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
wink

Hi all, just put an old engine into my PX to start a rebuild and to get an Idea of what needs doing. Seems to run OK, but when I pull the clutch it makes a rattly noise from within also noted that when running it seems to make quite a lot of noise from the flywheel (loudish whistle/whirling noise). Anyone got any thoughts on what needs replacing. Does the crank sound like it's on it's way out, new clutch etc.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks, W.
vespaloco
Main scooter: changes by the day

Hi Wink.
Run the motor again in and standing beside the scoot pull the clutch and look at the flywheel.The noise is the flywheel hitting the cover.
Just done a pair of PX200E discs 2001 & 2003.
Both done 33000kms 22000 miles ish.
New set of main bearings and seals.Quiet again.
Vespaloco Alicante
wink

Hi Vespaloco, i tested it and there was no movement against the cover.

I have taken it for a couple of spins and the clutch is working fine but just still seems really rattley when pulled in. I think I'll run it for a bit and see how it runs. Cheers Chris
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Run it at your peril !! just stripped a P2 lump as there was a "funny noise" when clutch depressed. Found the wire clip that holds the clutch center washer in place was missing and the washer was only held in place by the brass plunger.......as for where the clip ended up ?????
wink

Hi All.

Well I've now managed to get time to strip the engine. When I took off the Clutch and flywheel I noticed that there seemed quite a lot of play on the crank (it could be visibly moved between the casings, is this correct? ) so I'm guessing that the flywheel bearings are shot. I have taken out the primary drive and it looks to be OK with no noticeable internal rattles. Gearbox was removed and all appears to be fine. Would the bearings being shot make the noise/rattles as described before?

Cheers Chris
vespaloco
Main scooter: changes by the day

For sure Wink.
Scoots used around town with plenty of stop start riding are the problem.
Both the ones i repaired were from Madrid and city bikes.
Also dont think the later bearings are the highest quality.
Ive had early 8os P200E quiet as you like with 60 & 70000KMS and still flying.
I repaired a number of post 2000 PX including post office 125 machines and the crank can be pushed out of the clutch side bearing with little more than thumb pressure.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information