px extra cooling

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
johnny rotten
Main scooter: px200e

sean brady scooters wrote:interesting ,but firstly why do you think your PX needs extra cooling ?
secondly ,there are great benefits to fitting a scoop on the panels and by removing the lower fins on the flywheel cowel hence letting in more cool air to start with .
your computer fan maybe could work ,but i have my doubts tbh ...
have you done any tests to prove that it provides better cooling ?
at best i would imagine that it blasts down over only the barrel fins and so may actually hinder cool air travelling over and around the cylinder head ,and without a hole in say the top of your side panels its only ever going to try to cool with hot air to start with .
plz let us know how this works out for you
Alrite Sean,
when you mention adding an air scoop to the side panel do you mean a lamy air scoop and remove the louvres from the flywheel cowl, also what do you reckon to those ram air type flywheel cowls as an alternative to this mod?

Cheers

John
sean brady scooters
Dealer

ok then lets back track a bit and start from the basics here ..as regards to vespas and their cooling ..on the px range
firstly just take a look at the vespa panel on a px range ...yes it sits higher up than previous models but the old louvres are gone .
and so bear in mind that max cooling will only happen if the fan is taking in adequate amounts of the coolist air to start with .
anything you can do in this respect is good .and especially maybe on tuned motors
when more revs = more heat
and i,m yet to hear why this particular px is in dire need of extra cooling anyways ...has it perhaps seized or over heated previously ..in which case its prob down to other things tbh
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Shaunbond

I fitted an LML 4t panel with the vents in, no idea if it does anything extra in terms of cooling as I fitted for looks.
Serial scooter rider...
VMSC Committed to Scootering for 25 years
johnny rotten
Main scooter: px200e

Alrite again Sean. I don't know if my p2 will need extra cooling tbh I've just fitted a HB stage 4 top end set up (std cast iron barrel modified) so just looking at worse case scenarios should the need arise so was just researching my options in advance and hoping to benefit from your advice on the matter l have put fwd my understanding of what you conveyed along with another product that I have come across while resrarching so would appteciate any advice
ducksta

hi sean the scoot is a t5 polini barral suzuki ts185 conversion, my last tuned iron barral kept siezing so i was just looking at belt and braces covering all angles just in case.
live life your a long time dead
Morgan
Main scooter: T5 Vespa Mk1

sounds like you might have made it worse. agree with other comments. I think the cool air will be sucked in through flywheel but will go out through your fan or just re-circulate round barrel. You need cooling round your cylinder head more than the barrel. if worried about overheating why not retard it a notch or fit an auto retard. TBH vespas set up right don't usually have over heating problems. Whats your compresion, barrel clearance and squish like ?
roadrunnerian

are you running 3% mixture it needs to be m8
shocky

what tyre pressures are you running
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
ducksta

run 3% and 30lb rear 28lb front
live life your a long time dead
Morgan
Main scooter: T5 Vespa Mk1

Don't see what your tyre pressures got to do with your barrel temp ?? like i said squich, compression, barrel/piston clerarance and timing would be more critical. what you got those set at ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information