DC Horn on old Vespa

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ArmandTanzarian

I've converted my wide frame Vespa to DC. The only snag I've found is that now the horn wont work. With a Lambretta it's simple, just buy a £5 replacement but with the old style Vespa its stuck on the front where it can be seen.

I have seen remade ones that look like the original but work on DC but they were stupidly expensive (£80 or so)

Any suggestions?
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
cit205

Pretty sure you can buy cheap enough clam shell repros ,could drill the rivets out and swap the faces over maybe , or leave a 'dummy' horn on show and fit the ugly one under the mudguard somewhere.
jonny snatchsniffer

why dont you use the ac feed from the stator to power an ac horn ?
a.lo.v2
Main scooter: sx 200

have done this on my sprint as with the ac set up the horn dipped the lights badly. the only dc vespa horn i could find is for the rally 200 but is the wrong size and too expensive, but i found a generic one at ScooterCentre, the right size it has not got the grill but this can be swapped with an original one if you can find some hollow rivits ( i havn't yet). runs direct from a battery in toolbox, nice and loud and no dipping lights :D
a.lo.v2
Main scooter: sx 200

not sure how to link but the part number is 232k64 15 euros.
ArmandTanzarian

I left the original horn where it was and mounted a f*ck off loud car one under the mudguard. Looks kept standard and when I want it to hoot, it properly hoots!
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Yanker

Like it!

Just done something similar on my Lam S2: compressor under the horncast and twin out of sight air horns under the the floor.

Hope both are useful wakeing-up dozy 4 wheelers to their predicament!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information