gear box oil

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
soulboy
Main scooter: t5 172 and a bit more

does differant grade oil (thicker ) in the gear box do any harm ive got performance car oil in at the minute (t5) :roll:
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

I've been told it must be 30sae. Why I don't know. If it was an emergency I don't think it would do any harm. Long term, probably. Otherwise there would just be one type of gear oil.
Gary
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Just spotted this a couple of hours ago. I know feck all about vespas so don't know if the same applies.
Lambrettas need the same transmission oil as any modern two stroke dirt bike. The key is that both machines have what is called a "wet clutch", which means that the clutch plates are submerged in the transmission oil and therefor have some special needs when it comes to the type of oil that is used. Another factor which can complicate matters is that there are two viscosity scales for oil - the automotive scale and the transmission scale. The oil you need, which can be found at most motorcycle shops or through us, is going to be in the 80-90w range on the transmission oil scale (which corresponds to about 30-40w on the automotive scale - about the consistency of what you pour in your car's engine). The oil we sell is called Maxima MTL (Motorcycle Transmission Lubricant), which comes in an endurance version (85w) and a racing version (80w). This (and all other brands of MTL) has the correct additive package for your wet clutch. If you buy an automotive oil, it will not only rob power due to its heavy viscosity (it's about the consistency of honey), but it will have an additive package that will glaze up your clutch plates quickly and shorten their life.
From West Coast Lambretta Works tech area. Which is worth saving ... http://www.lambretta.net/lambretta-tech-center.htm
Muttley McLadd

Don't all bikes (Ducs excepted) have wet clutches?

I've used the same oil in my Lammy as my bike for years now.. no clutch problems in either.
CakeAndArseParty
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I'd recommend just using water in Vespas.

Unless it's a GTS, then I'd say add some sugar to the water.

:baddevil: ....... but I'm like that.
soulboy
Main scooter: t5 172 and a bit more

on the bottle it says EA80 looks very thick comin out sharpish :oops:
cit205

sae 30 mineral oil. because anything posh and modern will eventually damage the clutch , and especially don't use ep oil even in an emergency.
Ordinary cheap sae 20w /50 or 10w/ 40 motor oil will be ok though.
john

I put st90 in my vespa because that's all I had on the shelf .. I meant to change it but haven't yet , does it matter ?
joespeed

corrado wrote:I'd recommend just using water in Vespas.

Unless it's a GTS, then I'd say add some sugar to the water.

:baddevil: ....... but I'm like that.

i wouldn't waste any sugar and in the summer water will have a hose pipe ban!
cit205

john wrote:I put st90 in my vespa because that's all I had on the shelf .. I meant to change it but haven't yet , does it matter ?
Shouldnt think it will hurt, probably too thick though so i'd get some 30 or even cheap ordinary 20/50 etc in it when you can.
GSF car parts and halfords (expensive) do classic type single grade oils that proper vespas and things like aircooled vw's like .

The one to watch is EP oil (extreme pressure) ,if you put EP80/90 etc in which is for some car gearboxes your clutch will stop working in no time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information