Vespa Stator Wiring Question??

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

I've installed a PX engine into a rally 180 (non battery) & I'm a bit stumped with the final connections to the stator - so am hoping a grown-up might be able to help... setup a follows:-

- Piaggio 5 coil / 7 wire stator (which is what's got me baffled tbh)
- Ducati CDi
- 3 pin rectifier unit
- Beedspeed conversion wiring loom
- no battery

I've got the 3 wires from stator to cdi connected (red, green & white)
Then there's a further 4 wires coming from the stator; 1x black, 1x grey, 1x red & 1x yellow... where on a normal 5 wire type stator you would only have 1x black & 1x blue?
The 3 wires coming back to the engine from the rectifier are; green, blue & black - so I've connected the green from the rectifier straight to the second green pole on the cdi unit, then connected the black from the rectifier to the black coming from the stator?
And I'm assuming the blue from the rectifier must to go to the red from the stator - as there's no blue wire coming from the stator??

That being the case, this still leaves me with 2 spare wires from the stator (1x grey & 1x yellow) which I'm guessing would be for starter motor or battery feed (neither of which I'm running) - so with nowt else to connect them to can I just tape them up & leave alone - or will this cause an issue or not work at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cartmel808

....Anyone?
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Any pics of stator?
cartmel808

Yeah - there you go...

wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

It looks very similar to this https://www.beedspeed.com/vespa-stator- ... 12464.html Might be worth phoning them to see if it can be rewired to use with your regulator.
cartmel808

Cheers Wack... I give them a call ;)
mickymidas
Main scooter: Vespa Rally /P200

Are you sure you have the correct stator ?.....On my rally/P200 , there is only 5 wires from stator, red, white, green to cdi, then blue& black to plastic loom connector on top of engine......outside green on cdi goes straight to headset ignition.
2Ronnies sc.......Chuckleism is the way forward
T5-190

I might be wrong but I think the 7 wire stator plate is for a late type MY PX200EFL before it went over to the multi coil type stator plate. The extra wires maybe for charging the battery or for the ac/dc horn device under the horn cover.
cartmel808

Sorted it now... I've just swapped it over for a regular 5 wire px stator & everything now matches up! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
Cheers all...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information