Vespa Winter Project

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

[quote="cartmel808"]Exhaust looks good Gary..... I like the vented side panel as well.
Did the GS160 rim help sort your wheel alignment issue?

Yes it looks as if its going to work, I can remove a bit of the engine bolt area on the engine, shimmy the engine bracket over and it should allow me to align the wheels, it may still be about 5mm of line, but that shouldn't cause any problems.

"but i have always had reservations about curlys that they put the exhaust gas in front of the rear wheel with the oil that the gas obviously contains."

I hear what you are saying, but surly the forward motion of the scooter and the backwards motion of the 2T fumes shouldn't hit the tread of the tyre, but i will keep an eye on this.

" tailpipe looks low"

I have still got another 5/10mm of play due to my mock up engine bracket, this should raise the exhaust more.

This project is on going, If these issues become a problem then I will have to look at other solutions. The front disc, will be on the scooter for next spring, still being used daily.

Cheers for all the positive comments, Gary
culturesponge
Main scooter: GS150 x2, Primmy, PX & GTS

great work with the toolbox panel & good use for crummy repop GS panels

(apologies, but) chuffed now i had to cancel a Newline Curley SS+S order in May after a crash (for 8 year old Worb5 m210 VS5 project motor) - your pipe looks all-set to set to spray the rear tyre with oily 2-stroke smoke …can it be re-worked to point back more + shorter can with deflector?

alex
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

I've got same pipe as Gary's & I've not had any issue with oily residue from exhaust gasses getting onto the contact area of the tyre...

Image150s - M1XL 001 by dent.graham, on Flickr
Image150s M1XL 003 by dent.graham, on Flickr

That said - this had never occured to me prior to it being pointed out on this thread.... so now its going to be in the back of mind every time I go round a left hander! :shock:
GLscoot

Graham, Im the same as you now, worried that 2T will be spat allover the rear tyre. I have had a look at the PM tail can and it has an angled spout, which may help. But another £65, thats if it fits.
GLscoot

The point where the 2T hits the ground is 75mm away from the edge of the rear tyre and the lowest point of the exhaust is 125mm from the ground. Surely thats going to be ok.

ImageIMG_3913 by [url=https://flic.kr/p/q29YCk]ImageIMG_3921 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/92113797@N04/]
Juan

Why not just look into copper piping elbows and clamp it on with a Jubilee clip?
culturesponge
Main scooter: GS150 x2, Primmy, PX & GTS

on second thoughts a VSB/VCS exhaust get close to the rear tyre at "factory" spec … just the occasional rear tyre rag wipe-down every now should be enough to stay shiney side up …a small deflector jubblied on wouldn't hurt tho
alex
GLscoot

Vespa GS150

Vespa GS150

Vespa GS150

After my crash late last year I had to get the frame blasted cleaned & powder coated, so its now off to the powder shop and should be back at the end of the week. Pictures above are of some of the changes I have made to the look of the scooter. The exhaust side panel with the vents will be a later edition, want to get the scooter back on the road first then I will get the side panel welded up and powder coated. I am also adding some chrome to contrast with the bare metal look. Also adding a reverse side stand, what I mean is that it will lean towards the engine, showing more of the exhaust.
GLscoot

scooter frame & body work back from the powder shop, nice & early.

Vespa GS150

This is still my favourite bit of the whole frame.

Vespa GS150
GLscoot

Nearly finished.

Vespa GS150

Vespa GS150

Vespa GS150

Vespa GS150
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information