1962 vespa vbb 12v conversion advice please???

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
paulski

ive had enuff pissin about with points and condensor 6v nightmares and breakin down so am gone convert to 12v , beedsped kit for bajaj is easiest available option but on scoot rs site it says you ned to change loom or else your brake light can only work with lights turned on?? presumably i could ignore that and just take a feed from the main reg output and link over to brake switch so brake light works as it should without lights on.? any opinions on this as i prefer to not have to pull loom out and replace. thanks anyone
djh66
Main scooter: 150 special

I fitted the Beedspeed 12v conversion on my Sprint Veloce a couple of years ago, everything worked as it should. If in any doubt, speak to Beedspeed first.
Bring Me Sunshine COYH
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

The only reason they would ask you to replace the loom is the current loom might not be good enough to carry 12v. No other reason. It is best to put the thickest electrical cable you can. This will be dictated by the light switch or ignition switch, where the wire connects. The more strands of copper the connections can take the better. 1.5/2.0 core cable diameter. This where the Italian wiring fails its about 0.75 with about 5 strands of copper, this is not enough for 12v. Don't buy a loom, make it yourself. Beedspeed sell wire in about 8 different colours. Buy about 3m of each colour you need and copy the loom that's in the scooter. If you are running a battery use thicker cable with any connections to the battery, especially the earth. You must have a good earth, for battery, headlight and taillight.
Gary
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information