Splitting a P200 crank

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mushroom
Main scooter: Motovespa P200E

I need to change the big end bearing but can't find anything online that shows you how to do it
Is it that hard a job that it's easier to buy a crank and conrod complete ?
mickymidas
Main scooter: Vespa Rally /P200

Take a look at Scooterhelp .com ....Might be of some use.
2Ronnies sc.......Chuckleism is the way forward
mushroom

I had a look on there and he reckons you need to take it to a mechanic to split the crank
Ivan_200
Main scooter: Vespa PX125/177

you have to press out the pin and realign the halves, almost impossible to do on your own without proper tooling
mushroom

OK fair enough, looks like I'll just get a new one complete then
gaz_powell

to split a crank you need a hydraulic press, correct size drifts and correct size wedges to block the webs I can split them at work wouldnt attempt to rebuild them as you need a v block/dial gauge and experience

any good motorbike engineer can do it - i use a local shop he charges £15-20 (labour only) to split, rebuilt and balance

i wouldn`t change the bearing without changing the rod - when the bearing goes it usually takes the inner surface of the big end with it

a rod kit is around £35.00 + so still cheaper than a good crank - if it is piaggio webs and the threads and tapers are good i would rebuild if not buy new
mushroom

gaz_powell wrote:to split a crank you need a hydraulic press, correct size drifts and correct size wedges to block the webs I can split them at work wouldnt attempt to rebuild them as you need a v block/dial gauge and experience

any good motorbike engineer can do it - i use a local shop he charges £15-20 (labour only) to split, rebuilt and balance

i wouldn`t change the bearing without changing the rod - when the bearing goes it usually takes the inner surface of the big end with it

a rod kit is around £35.00 + so still cheaper than a good crank - if it is piaggio webs and the threads and tapers are good i would rebuild if not buy new
It was in a seized engine that's now been stripped.
I tried moving the conrod round the crank but it felt stiff and notchy
It's moving easier now but I'm not sure I can rebuild it like that and trust it to be OK
For piece of mind I'll change the lot

thanks for all the advice
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information