50 spesh lecky probs

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Jazzy

Edited pls read again
trying to get a 50 spesh with v90 engine running, its on points and im not getting a spark.
wiring is a bit 80s scooterboy.
from the loom i have two blues two yellows two greens and a red and a black
from stator yellow white black and green.
the wiring seems to be connected in a random fashion. should it just be like to like.

help pls
jonny snatchsniffer

do you have the stator with the ht coil on it ? are you sure there is no red from the stator ? if not can you post a pic up of stator wiring and ill do my best to help you out regarding what wire goes to what, 50 specials do seem to have the wankiest wiring known to man and as much as a blown rear lamp can stop some models starting
red is usually ignition
green the horn
yellow is main lights
blue is brake light and black is earth
but it seems from your description your 90 does indeed have a 50 special stator in which case
green is the wire for the ht coil which by a stroke of luck needs the main beam to be intact for it to work along with the ignition switch, this type of wiring shenanigans does my head in as
if lamps are blown or wrong wattage then this can effect the rest of the electrics as the early models use the lamps as the regulator, its all kind of arse about face with it all, even a speedo lamp blown or not there can lead to other lamps blowing etc
if i were you id throw the electrics in the bin and get a vespatronic, this can be used with the older looms too
Jazzy

Cheers Johny

Looks like I have some ground workk to do as there are some bulbs missing.
Watch this space.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information