barlow stage four set ups

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
johnny rotten
Main scooter: px200e

Cheers appreciate if you can keep me posted on how it performs

Cheers

John
fraserp200e
Main scooter: 1988 MotoVespa TX200

Ive just finished doing a few final tweaks to my set up and am now happy with it.

Although there was bags of power through the gears, the top end was a bit dissapointing (55-60mph if I could get a straight long enough!). Even although this is a touring tune I was expecting a bit more at the top end.

After getting advice from a few people the squish was slightly on the high side so I brought that down a bit by removing a couple of the metal gaskets at the base of the barrel (either side of the spacer). I also fitted a lightened flywheel I had in the garage (the 1.9kg beedspeed one) to see if that would allow it to rev higher.

The result was it pulls well through all gears and happily pulls all the way through to 65+mph in fourth, I've not had it flat out on the motorway / dual carraigeway for a long period. This is exactly what I was after :D :D

I'm certainly no expert and have been learning as I go along but all seems well at the moment (I've been riding it daily for about a week like this). I'll be leaving it as is until after Scarborough.

Hope this helps John.
Last edited by fraserp200e on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1983 Vespa PX125
1984 MotoVespa P200E
1988 MotoVespa TX200
johnny rotten

Nice one mate cheers :D
goldeneye

mines going well. been using it everyday for work, 10 miles each way, pulls really well. a bit better than a good P200, but it gets there better, and holds it better into wind, and up hills. if you run a malossi 210 with a standard carb and a cheap pipe, i would have this instead.
johnny rotten

That sounds in line with what people seem to be saying so i will be pleased if that's the case once the engines fitted and ran in i just want something reliable with a bit more oomph than standard and hopefully the 207 should fulfill that criteria

Cheers

John
goldeneye

just done 300 miles on it this weekend, including kicking its head in down the M6 for a bit, and a blast over the A66. struggled a bit into a strong headwind going over, but most scoots would have anyway, and it was great on the twisty country lanes through kirby stephen/sedbergh etc. gotta keep it on the boil more than a standard P200. 5 speed gearbox would be good for it...hint hint..... :lol:
H,POOL GADGE
Main scooter: vespa polini220/gts 300

puts my little ride around and redcar for a cuppa tea to shame, running new rings in! hardcore you lad! PM sent....
fraserp200e

Has anyone had any snags with fuel starvation with this set up?

Reason I ask is last night on a long uphill stretch of dual carraigeway (a suspension bridge!!) I was sitting just below 70mph, and had been for about a mile or so when the scooter just died on me, as mine is an old premix P2 with no fuel gauge I assumed it had run out of fuel and clutched in, switched over to reserve and free wheeled for a bit (10 - 15 secs), I then let the clutch out and away the scooter went with no problems. When I got to where I was going I looked in the tank and it was well above reserve (about half full). I then drove it all the way back, about 20 miles, taking it a bit easier but with the fuel tap back at the normal position with no problems.

Although its only happened the once, I'm thinking of getting one of these (a float bowl spacer) to see if that cures the problem, cause I don't want it happening again when I've got some beemer driver sitting 3 feet of my back bumper on the motorway!;
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... +_92260000

Going to shorten my petrol line as well, as I noticed it's a bit on the long side when I had the tank out.

Has anyone else had this problem or something similiar?

(meant to say, it's got a fast flow tap fitted already)
1983 Vespa PX125
1984 MotoVespa P200E
1988 MotoVespa TX200
H,POOL GADGE
Main scooter: vespa polini220/gts 300

frazer don,t waist ye money on the packers there shite, ye can,t get an air tight seal, they cause the carb to leak, shite!!! if ye must ease ye mind, get a cosa float bowl cap, they have a bigger float needle thus allowing the float bowl to fill faster...
more peace of mind, i know ye got home but whip barrel of have a look at piston see if it heat seized, can be heat when a scooter just dies...
go up a jet or 2, plus 3% oil...http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... +_12832540 ;)
fraserp200e

Cheers for that Gadge, I'm off work tomorrow so I'm going to have a wee look at the barrel and piston then, hopefully shouldn't be the jetting cause it was jetted on the safe side on the dyno (128 main) but I'll have a look anyway, I've probably been running at closer to 2% mix as I had just been doing short trips around town so I'll put that back up to 3% and order a cosa float bowl for piece of mind.

I'll be impressed if I heat seized it - it was about -1 and lightly snowing when it happened :D
1983 Vespa PX125
1984 MotoVespa P200E
1988 MotoVespa TX200
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information