polini 208 bolt on...

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
H,POOL GADGE
Main scooter: vespa polini220/gts 300

orite lads, asking for a mate who has a p2, he bolted on a polini 208-reprofiled head to suit-130 main-140 air corrector sito hopeing to improve upon what he was already getting out of his standard setup...he was getting 60mph-standard and he's getting 60mph with polini full throttle, all be it, it pulls through the gears better, he does,nt want a screamer, he's a 2up or bagged up, mile eating touring lad, even i thought he'd gain summit topend like! but, is it a case of matched casings and carb inlet....whats peoples gains with bolt on's???????? :?:
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

I wouldn't just guage the success of the conversion on the top speed, but also the ability of the engine to pull the load (perhaps two up with luggage).

The reason I say this is that Harry Barlow is planning to make Polini 208 copies from India (just as Polini start to make the kit in alloy). He told me that he was fitting these without additional porting to the casings and got the same peak power but 25% more torque.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to resisit porting the casings, so I was surprised that Harry said that this wasn't necessary if all you wanted was a rally mile muncher.

Martin
Diablo
Dealer

Its just the pipe holding it back probably.
Polini bolt ons do actually work quite well although theres a lot more to gain from matching transfers etc.
rondon
Main scooter: autovespa

I had a polini 180 in the 80's just a bolt on with a 28mm delli & a baffle less pitone , even to this date it was the best scooter I ever had, ultra reliable, got absolutely thrashed everywhere I went , top speed was 75 shown on original speedo, full throttle on motorways mile after mile. wish I still had it but some rotten bas7ard stole it, believe it or not I swapped a gp af 225 for it , saw little rascal & wanted one just like it so I done the swap with my mate from York big al niko , our mate Billy fitted the polini kit & I rode it home from York @ 30 mph all the way home 90 odd miles. happy days
Holly s**t it's got teh rust
dopeshots
Xbox live gamer tag: rms789
Main scooter: GP150

I have a Polini kit on my PX200 and mine was the same until I sorted out the jetting and timing.

I took it to Diablo’s dyno to get the carburetion done and it will pull 70mph all day now and as a guide 15.5bhp.
It's not ported and runs std carb and auto lube with a Taffy swift pipe.

Cheers :fb:
H,POOL GADGE

thanx for the input lads! i,ve passed info on...thats what i was expecting 15bhp and 70 mph, he's gunna try me jl and simonini pipe on it, see if it breathes better...
gaz_powell

any update ?
goldeneye

gaz_powell wrote:any update ?
yeah, he"s paid for it now. :lol:
H,POOL GADGE

he has'nt tried different pipes! must be happy with a gas guzzling 60mph....
goldeneye

H,POOL GADGE wrote:he has'nt tried different pipes! must be happy with a gas guzzling 60mph....
maybe if he backed the clutch off so it isnt slipping, that could be a canny start...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information