malossi 166 gearing

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mawso

Early PX125 with 1st version of Malossi 166 (that's had the crank cut, inlet opened up/24mm SI with carb box matched to inlet, not sure if barrel has had any extra porting as bought the bike already done). I went from 21/68 with a Sterling pipe...never knew how well it went with that pipe as selecter and cruciform were worn out and knackered so got those done and put a SIP2 on nearly straight away. It went really well like that. Then I got offered a new 23/65 straight cut Polini upgear kit, had that fitted and it went even better...with just me on. Been out today two up and it struggles now like mad on any incline and am chasing power between 3rd and 4th all the time. With 21/68 it was fine up hill and into a wind with 2 people. I'm 85kg and wife is 50kg. So if I put a bigger P200 crank in and maybe a lighter flywheel, maybe even an Agusto unit would I get back some of the torque that's been lost by overgearing it?
mawso

Can't edit last post, had read about using 200 crank in a post on another forum by OZ, but read on a bit further and it looks like it needs some more work to casings or crank itself. What about this http://www.bgm-tuning.com/shop/cranksha ... 125-px150/?
Bensmith225
Main scooter: Lambretta gp monza 225

I ran a ported 166 with a sterling pipe for about 2 years with 22/68 it would keep up with everything and didn't particularly struggle in wind or up hill fully loaded on the way to rallies, it was on a reed valve lol engine though so may slightly vary to yours
mawso

Cheers Ben. Am now looking for a straight cut 22T to try 22/65 on early PX125 gearing. DRT do one for about £80.00 but hoping there's a 2nd hand one out there somewhere. Scooterhelp shows 60mph at 6k in 4th, should run a bit better than 23/65. Still umming and ahhing about 60mm crank.
Scooterindo
Main scooter: Cutdown Bitza

malossi 166 ported cut crank and Polini pipe and I've opted for late PX 150 gearing and 22/68
Old Skool Cool
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information