PHBH 30mm on T5

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
nelson pk

Hi everyone

Putting a delly 30mm on my t5 with the malossi manifold. The problem is the float bowl fouls on head cowling. I know the carb goes on at a slight angle but i dont want too much of an angle as the floats wont operate properly if its too bad.
Is there a way of getting it to fit better? Can the cowling be cut a little without any detrimental effect to cooling?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Peter
santacama

It works perfectly on an angle.
Fruitjuice

Make a 4 or 5 mm aluminium packing plate to go under the manifold...
I have one here at home but it'll cost you too much to get it sent over.
Altenatively if you know somebody that weld aluminium for you, just cut the manifold and reweld at a slightly different angle so the carb sits a bit higher...
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming: "WOW, WHAT A RIDE"
sean brady scooters
Dealer

you could just chop up and use your old std carb box to make the spacer... :D
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Fruitjuice

Good idea! You could even keep the oil pump if you wanted to!
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming: "WOW, WHAT A RIDE"
nelson pk

Thanks for the input guys. Really good idea about chopping the old carb box to make the spacer.
May well go for that one.

Pete
jimmo
Main scooter: Lambretta GP TS1 230 JB

Had similar problems when I fitted a PHBH on to a MMW2 reedblock on my T5.

The carb works fine even thou at a slight angle,but I found that the vibration of the engine against the carb float body/cowling caused the body to wear thou causing a fuel leak - only minor.

I eventually changed to a Koso 30mm which didnt foul and gave better performance.
bag5y01uk

Why go to a 30mm PHBH in the first place? Im running one on my 22BHP 210, but when I get back from the cold and wet North Sea im putting a standard T5 carb back on. Performance wise it will be unnaffected and I'll get way better fuel economy, and it should smooth out the ride a bit too.
Cheers Baggsy
acko

bag5y01uk wrote:Why go to a 30mm PHBH in the first place? Im running one on my 22BHP 210, but when I get back from the cold and wet North Sea im putting a standard T5 carb back on. Performance wise it will be unnaffected and I'll get way better fuel economy, and it should smooth out the ride a bit too.
Cheers Baggsy
Agreed :mrgreen:
Better to be someone for a day than no-one for a lifetime
coaster

acko wrote:
bag5y01uk wrote:Why go to a 30mm PHBH in the first place? Im running one on my 22BHP 210, but when I get back from the cold and wet North Sea im putting a standard T5 carb back on. Performance wise it will be unnaffected and I'll get way better fuel economy, and it should smooth out the ride a bit too.
Cheers Baggsy
Agreed :mrgreen:
And me, I had a 28PHBH on my T5 Classic when I bought it. I eventually replaced it with a Spaco 24mm pattern standard carb and the performance wasn't noticable affected plus smoother running, better ecconomy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information