New ScootRS Vespa disc brake conversion

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
gadgetman

Has anyone used the new ScootRS Vespa hydraulic disc conversion with bolt on master cylinder/ brake lever housing particularly on a Vintage ie pre PX Vespa ?
roadrunnerian

i have used the scoot rs on a t5 i used a px master cylinder set up which i welded to a spare headset i had. the main problem was the hub assembly no matter what i did it would judder like mad when i applied the brake i finally put a beedspeed hub conversion judder vanished.
vesbrettas

never used one myself but on the way to woolacombe a bloke done a forward flip in front of my missus on a px (good job the gt she was riding has got 2 discs), when i went back to look for her and found the accident the front caliper had come off and locked against the wheel, i think its a mixture of lack of maintanance and a bad design as the bolts that hold the caliper are under a lot of stress, i would personally get hold of a genuine px setup. i also took some photos so see what you think for yourself
C*NTSPEED
Main scooter: vespa ts 125/200

id onlu use px one mi sen as i dont like the quality of the scoot rs hub carrior
GEMINI S.C.
BLACK WIDDA'S S.C.
roadrunnerian

i am glad i changed to a beed speed hub assembly now after those piccies
gadgetman

Frightening pictures but if it was down to poor maintenance ie bolts not tightened properly then any poorly fitted/maintained bike component could fail due to that same reason. I have a mate who had exactly the same accident whilst riding his Lambretta on the YSA Coast2Coast two years ago where the caliper bolts came loose thankfully he was only doing about 30mph but still ended up in hospital. I don't think that it is a design fault in the same way that if someones wheel falls of their car due to loose wheel nuts it's not down to badly designed wheels.
Ive got Scootrs disc on my Lambretta and it is definitely an improvement in safety and the ScootRs Vespa unit is virtually exactly the same .The reason for my original question relates mainly to the fit of the master cylinder/ brake lever housing as that is quite a unique design and one that I've not seen before.
vesbrettas

i agrer with the maintanace thing but the lambretta design is different in that the caliper bracket is lone and held i place with the main axle and not just bolted on, the problem with it being bolted on where i is and not like a genuine px is there is a lot of leaverage on the bolts. i wouldnt personaly use one or fit one for a customer
timexit17
Main scooter: GP 225 Extra S type

Funnily enough Ian from the Swindon IC lot had exactly the same thing on the way to Woolie (cant be the same person as he was riding a Lambretta).
I've had my SPAQ/Nissin set up on my GP for 3 years and tens of thousands of miles with no problems.
Saying that the pistons are sticking a bit and the disc is grooved so weather permitting I have shiny new replacements directly from ScootRS to fit today.

If the bolts had sheared off into the mounting then I WOULD be worried, but I have to agree that in such cases it all points to poor 'maintenance'.
When I rebuild mine today the bolts are M8 stainless high quality bolts and will be torqued up and fitted with nutlock.

If I noticed anything untoward with the operation of the hydraulic front brake (and lets face it the rear drum is rubbish in comparison!) or it felt weird, I'd stop immediately and have a look.

The Vespa Grimeca set up is a superior product, but there's nowt wrong with the scootRS/Spaq mounts etc if used correctly. IMHO of course.
8-)
scootRS.com
Dealer

roadrunnerian wrote:i am glad i changed to a beed speed hub assembly now after those piccies
But those photos are the sand cast Beedspeed - Spaq kit that came apart, not a ScootRS kit.

It is a nightmare being associated with every Spaq/Sterling item that has a problem just because we're in Vietnam. We'd ask people to please not use our company names together, there is no association at all except they made low-end copies of some of our items.

Compare photos of sand cast (Spaq) vs pressure cast (ScootRS) hubs at Vespa PX hydraulic disc brake kit. Here is our kit:

Regarding Grimeca, a few people wrote:
  • -(German shop owner:) I think that braking power and control is better than the Grimeca for the Vespa PX My as the floating double caliper and the disc construction you use is much better.
    -It is really thought out well, ... nicer components/better designed than the Grimeca that came stock on the last batch of PXs that everyone sells as an upgrade.
    -The ScootRS Vespa disc brake kits are very nice. Great stopping power, and esthetically nicer than Grimeca.
>>the hub assembly no matter what i did it would judder
If not an assembly issue, just send in a report and they'll replace it at their expense. Maybe one spot was at a slight angle. Even paint on the hub can cause the disc to sit uneven.

Original poster: we have a Vespa Sprint hydraulic support type if that's what you're after?

ImageImage

And someone else wrote about a VBB:
Very pleased with the disc and stopping power. Been on the scoot for some years (first batch from ScootRS) and still works fine.
I installed the ScootRS Vespa disc brake on my Vespa VBB. We did a few modifications on the headset and used a PX fork. It's working well and improved dramatically the safety features of the bike.
Cheers.
gadgetman

In answer to SCootRs - thats exactly what I am after, Master Cylinder/ Lever housing to fit GL/Sprint AND the hub & disc to go with it . Can I order that as a kit OR do I have to order them as separate units. If ScootRS can PM me I will be ordering them I just need to get hold of some PK forks first so I know the axle size to order
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information