Suzuki 185 conversion

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Stokie

Ricko wrote:On the topic of the crank I want to use a TV or Yam rod, now I have seen the rods being sold as a kit to be assembled into your own webs.
But not advertised as a complete crank, anyone know any differant?
How easy do the webs part has anyone rebuilt thier own before, I presume you need use of a press and knife edges to balance etc.
I bought a MecEur crank from CamLam as a spare for my GP
When I needed to use it some years later it turned out to be one with a TV length rod fitted so I decided to go the Suzuki 190 route using a SR barrel.
Harry Barlow did the porting (added a boost port too) and also split the crank to machine the webs so he could fit big end shims. I was there when he rebuilt it. He pressed it together and trued it up witout any hassle and felt it was tight enough to not need welding.
The later MecEur cranks have big end shims fitted already I believe so if you're after a complete crank then call one of the dealers who sell them and I'm sure they'll be able to supply one with the TV rod or contact Harry at ProPorting to get him to build one for you with the RD400 rod if you have a GP crank to use. His prices are very reasonable as his overheads are very low.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Stokie wrote:
The later MecEur cranks have big end shims fitted already I believe
The 116 rodded ones don't have shims fitted.
corrado
Dealer

RinB wrote:The suzuki piston has a compression height of 32mm, a standard lambretta piston is 39mm giving a difference of 7mm.
Is this measured from centre of gudgeon pin hole to top of piston edge or top of piston crown?
sean brady scooters
Dealer

to top of piston edge martin :D
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
corrado
Dealer

32 it is then.

Are TKR Suzuki TS185ER any good? Made in Japan, 2 x 1.5mm rings.
Got one from a forum user (not this one) a while back but he conveniently forgot to tell me was 1mm oversized.
Ricko

Not fair this Corrado, sounds like your well on the way with this already! I'm still in the thought stage :(
soullad
Dealer

corrado wrote:32 it is then.

Are TKR Suzuki TS185ER any good? Made in Japan, 2 x 1.5mm rings.
Got one from a forum user (not this one) a while back but he conveniently forgot to tell me was 1mm oversized.
Martin, where do the pegs lie? can you pop on a photo? If not offer up to barrel or compare peg locations to normal lammy piston.
65mm.....I'd be keeping that one back, to fit after you've worn out your 64, then 64.5mm ones :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information