Cheapo ebay ali kits, question

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
TS1-200

I know a lot has been written on these kits in the past, but I can`t seem to find the threads, I`ve had no experience of these kits, but a mate has asked me to fit a 185 one for him, I know the issues regarding cleaning up the ports, but apart from that are there any other things that need checking before fitting ? I assume its a straight bolt on ?
Keep on keepin on
lozmondo

Piston to bore clearance, ring gap and the head can be of dubious quality.

I have one thats been cleaned up and im very pleased with it. Compares favourably to a mugello...and over £200 cheaper! :D
RinB
Main scooter: Reflections in Blue

The whole kit needs playing with...

Piston & rings are bad no good if you are thinking of stage 4ing

Ive done Dozens now but I change the pistons and rings and reprofile heads
Seen lots of the 186 200 & 225 kits go pop mainly due to rings breaking
If its made of Metal Fettle it !!
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

So its worth buying one and porting it and getting a head done and a decent piston?
eibargum
Main scooter: Vespa PX210 Polini

soosh wrote:So its worth buying one and porting it and getting a head done and a decent piston?
By the time you,v costed that lot in you may as well buy the Muggy.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

How much would a properly sorted kit set you back then? Ball park figure?
coaster

Doom Patrol wrote:How much would a properly sorted kit set you back then? Ball park figure?
£100 for sorting ports
£25 for a head
£50 for an Asso piston
£100 ? to buy the kit

£275 ish but could be less depending on the price of the kit. That's £100 less than a Mugello
eibargum
Main scooter: Vespa PX210 Polini

That's £100 less than a Mugello
Thats true, but the muggy,s nicosil,d, take the muggy out of the running and go for the rapido, around the same price as the sorted ali kit i suppose, you pays your money and takes your choice.
shocky

coaster wrote:
Doom Patrol wrote:How much would a properly sorted kit set you back then? Ball park figure?
£100 for sorting ports
£25 for a head
£50 for an Asso piston
£100 ? to buy the kit

£275 ish but could be less depending on the price of the kit. That's £100 less than a Mugello
COL WERE CAN YOU GET ASSO PISTONS FOR THAT PRICE ,RAYS PED LIST THEN AT THAT BUT THERE WEB SITE HASNT BEEN UPDATED FOR ABOUT 5 YRS LAST 175 ONE I BOUGHT WAS 78 QUID
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
lozmondo

Except the Rapido is for a 200 casing ?

the ali kit is same construction as a Rapido, steel liner, ali fins.

Did Cobblesoul last weekend, hammered mine round the race track,racing a GP200 with NK pipe.Did over 400 mile round trip. Blew a head gasket but apart from that the cheapo kit performed very well, returned good MPG and if it does sieze oversizes available :D

I love nicasil kits cos of the peace of mind they can give. BUT a well set up iron barrel can be very reliable, let alone one with better cooling cos of its alloy fins. The money saved meant I could have a new GP race crank (60mm) and bearings for the same price as a muggy...budget tune done properly works properly ;)

Mine now gives over 14 BHP with a 24 mikuni and tino clubman, with plenty more torque than a 200 (cant remember the figure). These kits are not plug and play to get the best out of them but offer a real 'fun' alternative. Tinkering with this has rekindled my enthusiasm for playing with my Lamby :P
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information