Worried

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
yian-ts1

Have read the post about the disintegrating base gasket, noticed oil on underside of new mb pipe on sunday after doing about 100 mile, just been into garage and checked with a light, dark oil on floor and when i touched base gasket it fell of in my hand. Thought oil may have been coming from exhaust stud as pipe is brand new, also when starting from cold scoot runs with a fast tick over, no choke, could this be the base gasket passing then sealing when heating up?? Fitted the gasket in jan, as with all my bits its from mb. Could this be a defective gasket?

Need to change I think?

Any thoughts?

Seemed to be running well with the new pipe too!!!!!!

Cheers

Yian
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

No two ways about it. In light of the other pictures that have been posted on here I'd say don't mess about and get it checked.
lockman69

Just replaced 2 mb base gaskets on my ts1 just for piece of mind and to be fair the old ones looked ok..... Just lucky I guess but still glade I replaced them.
Ian Hepworth

yian-ts1 wrote:Have read the post about the disintegrating base gasket, noticed oil on underside of new mb pipe on sunday after doing about 100 mile, just been into garage and checked with a light, dark oil on floor and when i touched base gasket it fell of in my hand. Thought oil may have been coming from exhaust stud as pipe is brand new, also when starting from cold scoot runs with a fast tick over, no choke, could this be the base gasket passing then sealing when heating up?? Fitted the gasket in jan, as with all my bits its from mb. Could this be a defective gasket?

Need to change I think?

Any thoughts?

Seemed to be running well with the new pipe too!!!!!!

Cheers

Yian
Could be, in January we were still selling the suspect 0.4mm gaskets,
strip it and get in touch for a new alloy version from us, FOC
yian-ts1

Thanks Ian, will always trust mb, always brilliant service, in my opinion the best supplier out there!
yian-ts1

Stripped top end down tonight and the gasket is definately no good, so a big thank you to evertone who posted the problem on here, you have saved me a lot of heartache and possibly money!!!

Thanks gents

Yian
jonny snatchsniffer

you dont really need one unless its for port time reasons, just nice clean gasket faces and some sealant
shocky

jonny snatchsniffer wrote:you dont really need one unless its for port time reasons, just nice clean gasket faces and some sealant
what he said
havent used a base or head gasket on my scoots for about 10 yrs always recessed the head to allow for squish and had the deck skimmed if need be to get good touch faces, always use dow corning silicone sealant most barrel kits have way to high transfer timings anyway
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information