weak/intermitant spark

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
dave wheeler

rebuilt a series 1 with gp bits i had lying round, bike sometimes runs for a few seconds then dies, plug wet, green wire off stator giving weak/ intermittant spark, points (new) seem to be working ok, any ideas. who does flywheel re-magnitising, could it be this?
cheers
dave
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

check the wire to the condensor, or replace the condensor with a known good one.
sean brady scooters
Dealer

yes ,try a new condensor...
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
J1MS

If you have a multimeter, then set it on Ohms and check the resistance on the green wire from the stator with points open and shut.

And Yes if the flywheel needs re magnetizing it could cause ignition faults, but would normally result in poor lights first.

The condensor is also a good possible cause.
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Also check you don't have any dry soldered joints, and that the little insulation plastic washers between the points are seated correctly (as shown in Sticky's bible).
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
firekdp

Make sure that the points are cleaned of any protective coating, as the points not contacting will result in a weak spark.
The easiest way to test it would be with a battery and lamp circuit as used for testing when the points open during timing. Connect between green and earth and rotate the flywheel slowly. With the points closed the lamp should be bright, when the points open it will dim slightly.
soulsurfer

What would/could cause a weak spark on a 12 volt electronic system?
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
J1MS

On the stators I've fixed it's usually the LT coil or the earth from it.
On the scooters I've fixed, if it's not the stator it's most times a poor earth to the coil/frame to engine. That's mostly the problem IMO. But there will be other reasons like magnets, faulty ignition Switch or CDI and other causes.
dave wheeler

thanks guys, the points and condenser are brand new, how can you tell if a condenser is good?, how can you tell if the magnitism is good or poor and who could i send it to to get re-magnitised
many thanks
dave
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

Anychance of loaning a flywheel to try..?, bit expensive to send off if thats not the problem..
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information