Ts1 or Rb?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Ihateyoubutler

Ok, so I finally have all the bits to build a new engine,including a new ts1 kit. I have a 58 mm stroke crank (110 mm rod),tmx35 and a devtour which I know will only fit the ts1. So, would you send the ts1 kit to be ported or sell it (and the exhaust) and buy an rb 225 kit instead?
I'd just like a few opinions please.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Ihateyoubutler wrote:Ok, so I finally have all the bits to build a new engine,including a new ts1 kit. I have a 58 mm stroke crank (110 mm rod),tmx35 and a devtour which I know will only fit the ts1. So, would you send the ts1 kit to be ported or sell it (and the exhaust) and buy an rb 225 kit instead?
I'd just like a few opinions please.
I'd just port the TS1 and run it. RBs are good.....but TS1s have history....and you know what you're getting.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

Defo TS1 tried trusted and it does what it says on the tin, its ten years since i run a TS kit but when i did it was as simple as start it ride kick its head in and do the same all over again month after month after year....mine along with a hell of a lot of others do the same, my brother has been running his TS brand new from AF for 4 years now and in that time it hasnt missed a beat new plugs and oil only..

There that good rumour has it AF are bringing them back..........
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Dan is correct. If I had the choice, I'd go TS1.

I have ridden John Balcomb's (JB Tuning) RB and TS1, and the TS1 is a better engine. On his dyno, the TS1 makes 28bhp without any welding. It has V-force reed and Agusto box, and it was by far the most practical scooter engine of the two. You could ride at 30mph in 4th gear and accelerate to top speed without changing down or missing a beat. Fabulous.

The RB was something else. The acceleration was unbelieveable, but violent to the point of being uncomfortable. Sticky has ridden this scooter and even he described it as "a fecking missle", and the fastest Lambretta-engined scooter he had ridden on the road.

However, the power was just not as much fun across-the-range as the TS1. I just couldn't help thinking you could get on the TS1 and set off for a European rally, blow-away 96% of other scooters at the rally and be sure of getting home again. I don't think I'd be so confident about the RB.
Last edited by Knowledge on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin
Matty

Lam46 wrote:There that good rumour has it AF are bringing them back..........
If they did, they'd probably outsell the RB in no time.
gpkeith

Run your TS1 un tuned but well set up for this year and see how you like it. This will allow more R&D time on the new RB250 and if TS1's are still unavailable yours will sell on fleebay as a standard TS1 kit for enough to get you well on the way to a new RB. Go with the V force reads they make a big difference to even a standard TS1 and maybe a JL4 pipe for extra grin factor!
LI150
Main scooter: Series 2 LI150

Scot at AF told me they were going to have the TS1 made again He didnt say when though
MarkH
Dealer

TS1

Can be made to go as fast as you need and still be as reliable as anything out there. Plus you have all those years of knowledge and support. Can't say any of those things about the RB.

Bringing that kit back would be smart.
Ihateyoubutler

That seems pretty conclusive then!
Thanks for all your help.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information