Imola - What Combination?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
soulsurfer

Interested in building a fun small block, bit of a screamer perhaps, but on a budget and hopefully not have to upgrade my MEC black race crank. Bearings are fine and have Li gearbox and was thinking JL4 Snail (16x47?) as I want it to look standardish with full panels. Which carb, inlet manifold etc. and which cylinder should I use, I hear good things about the latest version, is it really plug and play?

Already have TS1 but how does the Imola compare?

Open to suggestions.
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
drew2

i have an ealy imola,same crank as you,
mb head,30mm delly,JL4,GP200 box,
16*46,af light flywheel,revs like a moto
crosser,casings and barrell matched,
my mates TS cant shake me off and its
great fun
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

If on a budget,build something like an old Suzi 185.People give away 150 barrels nowadays,all you gotta do is get it top/tailed and get it ported correctly.Theres a page on here with some RS street racers and one is a 185 with a 32mm amal on it and an old Micron and it still pulls LI150 16-46. An old retro spec but you can bet its still a fast machine.
soulsurfer

When I say budget, I don't want to start buying new crank etc., just a cylinder kit and exhaust. Imola fits the bill of what I'm after if it suits my existing crank etc. If not, I won't bother. Can't be arsed with fettling iron barrels, want modern performance, plug n play.
soullad
Dealer

Hi Mike,
I ran my Imola on the MEC race crank for several years, no problems at all. I originally simply bolted on and used a 28mm dellorto (MB inlet manifold) with a Clubman, running 4.9 final ratio (16 x 46 LI 150). Ran great, no problems at all. I'd say a genuine 70 mph top speed.
Later changed to scootRS stainless exhaust, back down to standard LI 150 5.2 final ratio. This added approx 5-8 mph to top speed but also a good 1000 - 1500 revs.
Then had casings / welded for 3rd port / jl4 etc etc.......changed gearing to 5.4 and even more revs :lol: :lol: :lol: This was fast and accelerated quickly too. But despite a recent set back, it has been the most reliable lammy top end I've had. You can go as far as you like with it.
Personally, I've now got the chance to take it back to a clubman which is probably what I will do. This should tour all day at 60 with some in reserve...maybe using a TM24 and one of Jimmers new reed inlets? Ok, probably not why the Imola was created but what I actually need. ;) ;)
Matty

soulsurfer wrote:When I say budget, I don't want to start buying new crank etc., just a cylinder kit and exhaust. Imola fits the bill of what I'm after if it suits my existing crank etc. If not, I won't bother. Can't be arsed with fettling iron barrels, want modern performance, plug n play.
For the price of an Imola and exhaust you could do a Suzuki 190 (150 barrel bored out, cylinder head, piston for £35), buy a MEC crank, a clubman and a 30PHBH. Much cooler IMO.
mark

my imola puts out 22bhp with a jl4 according to dyno sheet from readspeed supplied with bike but dont know anything else about it cos i havent rid it . will let you know how it goes when i finish my j range/sx 150/imola thing
soulsurfer

soullad wrote:Hi Mike,
I ran my Imola on the MEC race crank for several years, no problems at all. I originally simply bolted on and used a 28mm dellorto (MB inlet manifold) with a Clubman, running 4.9 final ratio (16 x 46 LI 150). Ran great, no problems at all. I'd say a genuine 70 mph top speed.
Later changed to scootRS stainless exhaust, back down to standard LI 150 5.2 final ratio. This added approx 5-8 mph to top speed but also a good 1000 - 1500 revs.
Then had casings / welded for 3rd port / jl4 etc etc.......changed gearing to 5.4 and even more revs :lol: :lol: :lol: This was fast and accelerated quickly too. But despite a recent set back, it has been the most reliable lammy top end I've had. You can go as far as you like with it.
Personally, I've now got the chance to take it back to a clubman which is probably what I will do. This should tour all day at 60 with some in reserve...maybe using a TM24 and one of Jimmers new reed inlets? Ok, probably not why the Imola was created but what I actually need. ;) ;)
Most informative Ian, I thought you might have the answers. I have the Clubman too, can't imagine that would give me the grin factor. JL4 sounds the most fun, but I'd want it to be a wolf in sheeps clothing, hence the reasoning behind the Snail. Does the Jimmers manifold fit the Imola? It's not the same reed block as the TS1, is it?

Blimey Mark, you got enough on your plate :shock: Is that the latest version Imola?
soullad
Dealer

Martin (Corrado) showed me a reed inlet for the 24mm TM...I think it was a Jimmers version?
I used an MB TS1 reedblock (it just needs 10mins modifying with a burr) with the dual stage boyesen reeds (no stops). Oh and no filter... yes I know.. :roll: ...but it went great and more importantly sounded fast. Changed rings twice in 5 years :lol: :lol: but didn't feather reeds or wear away nicasil as some might have you believe.
Speaking of Martin, he runs an Imola, he'll have some pointers for ya too.
mark

i am stopping building this year going to finish all my projects and just enjoy them . aint got a clue what version imola mate , a mate rode it and said it was fun :D .jimmers does do a manifoild for it ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information