PM billet hub speedo

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Connected speedo cable up to a PM front billet hub drive(Vega type) and now 2 different speedos give high readings ie 80 mph when doing about 30.Obviously the drive has the wrong ratio,how do I get around this? thanks
soulsurfer

These speedo drives are made for many speedo applications on many other bikes and although may look the same, they're not. I assume it's not actually a Vega drive you have? I ran correct Vega drives with standard and Smiths speedos without a problem, very accurate to GPS.
Let me know if you need one, I have a couple of spares, send me a pm if interested.
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
pedGY

Hi,

sorry for nipping in on this thread but i have a PM single disc anti dive hub which i am having problems with the speedo. Are you saying a series 3 speedo cable will not work on this hub, if so any advice on what i should be using would be a great help

Cheers

Ped
soulsurfer

Ped, what is your problem?
You need a speedo cable that has the outer metal casing wound with round wire and not flat wire. This will give you a thread like coil that will screw into the speedo drive. I use a MEC cable which I believe is referred to as Italian spec. Mind you, I expect most dealers will insist theirs are or not have a clue. I got mine from Jem but he's a bit busy at the moment, so I'd try Scootopia and tell them it's to fit a Vega drive.
pedGY

Soulsurfer,

Cheers for the info, I have beedspeed on the door step so I will try them first,Had been trying to get a series 3 speedo cable to fit but I realise now that was wrong. Will the vega speedo cable inner fit down a series 3 outer and on a series 3 speedo?

Regards

Ped
soulsurfer

No idea Ped but I'm sure Beedspeed can supply the correct cable ;-)
frank sanderson
Dealer

there were not a lot of hubs produced that used the Vega speedo drive ,they were used as an option when people wanted to use a std speedo without having to mess about changing all the innards on indian speedos. But they are not available in large enough quantitys to fit to all the hubs we have sold.
Originaly we supplied a 2-1 speedo drive that excepts a std italian ferrule and cable and was suitable for use with a reworked std speedo or our 160 mph 2-1 speedo ,the other was the Vega one with around a 1.5 -1 ratio that had the round wire speedo cable fitted internaly to the thread within the brass tube. Be carefull though because there are 2 types of vega speedo drive one of which has a smaller dia threaded brass tube that wont accept a normal std thickness round wire lamby speedo cable.
All our current hubs and ones from the last 2-3 yrs are supplied with a 1.5-1 speedo drive that has its own ferrule with an alloy sleeve that you attach to your speedo cable with heatshrink . You dont say if you bought your hub new if you did there would have been fitting instructions explaining all the different drives and how to fit speedo cable if you email me through website http://www.lambrettainnovation.co.uk I can send you an instruction sheet .
hope this helps Frank.
pedGY

Frank,

thanks, email sent

Regards

Ped
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information