exhaust stinger ?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
rbgaz
Main scooter: gp rb230 dragster 180lc

when some tuners ie jb say they hav removed the stinger from exhaust what dos this mean ? they hav taken the baffles out of the end can ?
sean brady scooters
Dealer

the stinger is the part of the tail pipe that protudes into the rear cone....
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
oldbiker

As I understand, it a stinger is a tail pipe with no muffler fitted, and nothing to do with the internals of the exhaust.
sean brady scooters
Dealer

then unfortunatly you understand the term "stingers" wrongly....i,m afraid... :lol:
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
the-brickie
Xbox live gamer tag: cap willard

So to say that a big bore has a 'stinger' (internal part of the tail pipe) that runs up to the baffle, where as a reverse cone is more like an expansion with all the internal gubbins removed?
Avantone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

The "Stinger" is usually taken to be the tail-pipe i.e. in the context of an expansion chamber the bit that bleeds the exhaust gases out of the expansion chamber - Length and diameter determine how high the pressure (heat) is allowed to build inside the expansion chamber.

Usually the "Stinger" is at the end of the expansion chamber, but it can be joined into the centre section - Extending the "Stinger" into the expansion chamber tends to keep noise down a little, but may also dent power a little too.

If it's not restrictive enough, the pressure in the chamber will be low and the pulses less effective - too much pressure and your piston will melt! i.e. don't put a stock exhaust on a 250!

Of course this is all words and everyone's free to their own interpretation.
Tony

Download the (Original) Lambretta Gearbox Visualiser
www.lambrettagearbox.com
sydduckett

Little bird told me you took the baffles out to see how it would run then put them back only for your end can to fall off and a lorry to run over it.... ;)
J1MS

Yep, I think I agree with everyone, the stinger is a part of the expansion chamber, but I think I agree more with Avantone, his explaination seems to be my understanding.

Either inside or outside of the exhaust body, the tail pipe part that is the pressure bleed system for the exhaust gasses, the internal pressure of these gasses have an effect on the sonic pulses, this is known as the stinger.

So, Steve I think your right, and Sean I think your also right.

But I might be wrong... :lol:
oldbiker

J1MS wrote: So, Steve I think your right, and Sean I think your also right.

But I might be wrong... :lol:
Only one solution..
Fight!

joking of course
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information