MB Race Tour kit

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
iaingb

Has anyone had any problems with the MB Race Tour kits,I've had an RT20 kit in since August 2009,it's only done a 1000 miles and it's just broken down due to the barrel gasket disintegrating and the barrel lining wearing prematurely and it's caused a fair bit of problems with other things due to the barrel lining wearing out.
lifes a drag

im suprised at that ,,, MB are usually quality
cezeta

what do you mean by barrel gasket? base or head? the rt kit uses a recessed head so you shouldnt get a problem here so are you talking about the base gasket

mb use the same platers as all of the motorcross and enduro engine builders so quality should be top notch. thats not to say that there could never be a problem.

i would make an uneducated guese that the plating problem is as a result of the gasket failure and resulting air leak. if i had built that engine i would be suspecting something i had done before anything else that may have caused the series of failures.
Chris CSPE
Dealer

I had taken the cylinder to M.B on monday for Mark to have a look atand has informed me that the lineing has worn prematurley, Mark has sent the cylinder off to be redone and will supply a new piston free of charge :D The fault is with the lineing and not the build of the engine, just because a lineing company do motorcross and high performance two strokes doesnt mean that things never go wrong does it, I am more then happy with the outcome of this problem and the profesional and fair attitude of M.B Developments, Cheers mark
lifes a drag

cezeta wrote:what do you mean by barrel gasket? base or head? the rt kit uses a recessed head so you shouldnt get a problem here so are you talking about the base gasket

mb use the same platers as all of the motorcross and enduro engine builders so quality should be top notch. thats not to say that there could never be a problem.

i would make an uneducated guese that the plating problem is as a result of the gasket failure and resulting air leak. if i had built that engine i would be suspecting something i had done before anything else that may have caused the series of failures.
i dont think the base gasket going will cause the lining to go , probably just a bad plating job , like you seid though even top notch companys get it wrong some times
cezeta

air leak from anywhere will make it run lean or dry believe me, i have a bill from stan stephens for a replate for a very similar situation caused by me on a gilera dirt bike :oops: and a bill from mbd for another when the head leaked on the ts1 which probably can be pointed at me too.

chris i did say "if i had built it" so not implying you didnt know what you were doing but more of a dont overlook a potential problem as most problems have a cause somewhere. hopefully just a bad day at the platers though

i took a motor apart for a jaguar design engineer as his 240cc lambretta was gutless. a masters degree in engine design didnt stop him forgetting to put the circlips in the piston and the gudgen pin ground grooves up the bore :roll:

i m not alone......but not too often im pleased to say....i manage to give it ten years between cock ups of my own.
lifes a drag

id have thought it would hole a piston before damaging the nicosil ,, ali piston soft nicosil hard as fook :lol:
jag engineer my arse ,,, there schoolboy mistakes ,, no one should ever forget to put ciclips in EVER , same as piston wrong way around ,,, oh hang on iv done that before :oops:
cezeta

i holed a piston on the ts1 but not before it started siezing, the gilera just wore through the plating but its water cooled so i dont know if that has a bearing on it.

anyway.....dont buy a jag
Stokie

cezeta wrote: i took a motor apart for a jaguar design engineer as his 240cc lambretta was gutless. a masters degree in engine design didnt stop him forgetting to put the circlips in the piston and the gudgen pin ground grooves up the bore :roll:
Tatty Injun Series 2 by any chance ? He neglected to tell me that was the reason he couldn't get above 55 mph ! :oops:
eibargum
Main scooter: Vespa PX210 Polini

Theres a post on the LCGB site at the moment about MB base gaskits brakeing down, it says MB have rectifted the problem since becoming aware of it, its worth reading if you think youv got one on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information