Engine mounts..

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
sydduckett

Was dry fitting my panels prior to being painted up and iv realised i cant get the right hand panel on as the the extra long engine mount sits to far out. Its further out than the carb! Anyways I cant even remeber why i fitted it,i think it was for better road handling or maybe better ride. Anyone know what the benefits are?

I may be able to get away with replacing the dome nut with a nyloc but even then it may be tight?

joespeed

sef the double engine mount is to make for a more stable engine rather than it rocking about on soft rubber at the price of more vibration!
regards
joe
sydduckett

Will it work on the opposite side and still have the same impact or only on the right? I have a few choices as im venting the panel and could probably stretch the hole to take the the mount into account or bjust swap it for a normal one. Having said that id dont want more vibration than i already have.. :D

Ta
syd
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Sef,

Have you tried the panel without the dome nut yet?

Is the dome nut nyloc? If not, I would dump it anyway on the grounds of safety. Chiggy does narrow nyloc nuts for the R1 rear shock shocks. If your engine bolt has the same thread as the back shock (and they are not all the same, especially if it an aftermarket engine bolt), then his narrow nuts might be ideal to reduce the overall width of your scooter so that you can fit your panel.
Martin
J1MS

sydduckett wrote:Will it work on the opposite side and still have the same impact or only on the right? I have a few choices as im venting the panel and could probably stretch the hole to take the the mount into account or bjust swap it for a normal one. Having said that id dont want more vibration than i already have.. :D

Ta
syd
They were originally fitted to the exhaust side because that's the engine mount that suffers the most heat in normal use, the hot exhaust is right below it, this softens the rubber a little giving extra flex to that engine mount, by doubling up on the engine mount this gave a more stable ride.
They also add to any engine vibration... :evil:
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

sydduckett wrote:Having said that id dont want more vibration than i already have.. :D

Ta
syd
Put a single one on it'll give less vibration. Doubles are mainly used by racers.
OAP
Dealer

Just take off your domed nut, put on a normal nut, not nyloc. then centre punch it to lock it.

your panel will then fit or should do.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

OAP wrote:Just take off your domed nut, put on a normal nut, not nyloc. then centre punch it to lock it.

your panel will then fit or should do.
Ah, that could explain why it comes with a thin nut on the "big" end.
coaster

Syd, is this the same scoot you're have problems with the panels fitting too? If, it could be related to your not having the panel buffers fitted and therfore the panel is sitting too close. I also agree about the dome nut.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I concur. It looks daft anyway. :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information