GP2 front light

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
markd232

Went to get a MOT on the scooter the weekend. Failed on the number plate (new regs apparently came in 2 months ago) and the headlight. The inspector informed me that the beam was'nt the shape it should be through their machine, apparently it should be a flat line mine was more of an oval and was to high. He did'nt have much work on so I had a standard bulb with me, I recently fitted one of those 55w bulbs I got from Beedspeed, fitted that and tried to lower the beam but still same results.

It is an Indian lens and reflector and wondered if anyone has had similar problems. Do I need a new lens and reflector ?

Thanks
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Find a scooter friendly MOT station ;) :D
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
GP Kevo
Main scooter: 1969 150 DL / GP225 TS1

Didn't they used to just want to know that it worked, bright and dip, and brake and tailight? I don't know if Lambretta optics were ever very accurately made and what with the different lenses and reflectors from different OEM's I'd wonder if very many would have the correct beam shape. Did the Beedspeed headlamp bulb come with the downwards facing reflector / shield over the filament? I ordered two 50w bulbs (with the reflector / shield).

At least there's no bike MOT where I live but I'd hate to be pulled over in the UK for having a mis-aligned headlamp.
rbgaz
Main scooter: gp rb230 dragster 180lc

i had this with my beedspeed bulb at mot altough he still past it, he said he thought the bulb was up the wrong way but it isnt
anyone tryed the new bulb from reedspeed what was in scootering ?
markd232

gp kevo, the bulb does come with the sheild and have been very happy with it, very bright (55W). Did replace the rear light, speedo bulb and side light with led bulbs to cut down on watts.

The mot bloke did sugest the bulb was up the wrong but they can only go in one way.

I think Dapper may be right and just find a friendly mot station around the Aldershot/Farnborough area in future. (any sugestions would be appreciated for future)

The machine they used was the same thing they use for cars.

I will order a new lens from one of the major suppliers and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your replies.
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

I think that the GP headlight is just plain wrong. I can't say that I've ever seen a GP headlight that puts a decent pool of light on the ground. I wonder if the optics were too compromised by Bertone's design, or whether Innocenti never bothered to improve the shape of the reflector to suit Bertone's sketches.

I suppose someone could easily design an efficient round light to fit into the GP headset, but it would look wrong. Perhaps someone already has, with bright LED's filling the space that is not taken up by the round headlight. Now there's an idea.
Martin
mawso

I'd also suggest a more sympathetic MOT station. I had mine done last Saturday and he just asked me to show him all lights: high/low and brake...I gave him a quack on the horn as a bonus!

The test station had 5 Lambrettas in that day; 3 being GP's (2 of which were Indian) and all passed.

Everybody I know locally goes to this guy, he seems to be quite forgiving when it comes to old scooters not being on a par with more modern machinery.

Do the scooterists in your area use the same test centre you took yours too?
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

I agree with finding a scoot friendly tester, some are loathed to even look at them.At the end of the day we are talking about 40/50 year old designs ,what do they expect?. Any way it is about time someone designed a new headlight say like the late PX s to bring the lenses into the 21st century.
markd232

Just a quicky on the 55w bulb I brought from beedspeed the small metal reflector seemed to be up the different way to a standard bulb. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just the bulb I have.

Also can you file a small amount off the large tang to make it into the small tang port and use the bulb in the opposite ports.

Thanks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information