headcowling, thread stripped

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
joda

the headcowling on my jet came loose, so i fitted longer bolts top and bottom to try and benifit from all the avalable thread [note this is the the small cowl bolts, not the one m8 that fits into the head stud]

but this hasnt worked and it rattles all the time,

whats the tried and tested meathod of repair? chemical metal/jb weld? cable ties have also mentioned. i was thinking 2 large self tapping screws, but i fear this cowl may have to be off and on more times than a whores nickers at the start of this season while i play with exhausts and feel a self tapper will just chew the case up even worse if its constantly removed and replaced

thanks
sean brady scooters
Dealer

you could use longer bolts and then nuts on the other side under the flywheel cover.. :D
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Dimitrios_231

:idea:

Bolt head from the flywheel side,
nut from the outside?
Dimitrios_231

sean brady scooters wrote:you could use longer bolts and then nuts on the other side under the flywheel cover.. :D

Genius mind :lol:
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Dimitrios_231 wrote::idea: Bolt head from the flywheel side, nut from the outside?
I always do this, with M5 bolts from the inside and NYLOC nuts from the outside. That way, the nuts will not rattle loose.
Martin
joda

Knowledge wrote:
Dimitrios_231 wrote::idea: Bolt head from the flywheel side, nut from the outside?
I always do this, with M5 bolts from the inside and NYLOC nuts from the outside. That way, the nuts will not rattle loose.

thats si simple it may just work :D

thanks very much, dont know why i never though if that!
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Helicoil the holes and then use Loctite threadlock.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
jason frost
Dealer

do it M6 or have a timesert fitted.
hydra
Dealer

new Mag Flange £20, drilling, tapping, timesert, Helicoil or weld, all are eiher more expensive and may weaken the fingers where the holes are, especially the bottom one. Just buy another mag flange and change your seals while you are at it ;)
J1MS

I fit a second long cylinderhead nut to mine, diagonally from the original. This giving two 8mm threaded 13mm bolts as mounting points (once you drill a second hole in the cowling).
Even if the little bolts come loose the cowling dosnt.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information