E G T / cylinder head temp readings

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
eibargum
Main scooter: Vespa PX210 Polini

rbgaz wrote:cause the tm carb is limited to what u can do the setting i hav is the only place i can get with it were its rideable
Thats one of the reasons i went from the TMX35 to the TMX30 PJ.
soulsurfer

I think the TMX35 will suit some engines and rider style but the lack of adjustment can and will cause issues for some, the EGT just highlights the weak points. I do however; suspect the calibration on some of these cheap EGT guages as the quality ones don't seem to read as high and cause the scaremongering from high readings that some of us seem to encounter :-? Used with plug chops is the main use of the cheaper guages IMO.
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
RinB
Main scooter: Reflections in Blue

I too querie some of these cheaper EGT
For one the cabling from probe to gauge should be of the correct type cable for the type of thermocouple being used by the gauge.

For example a typical proper K type TC should have a colour cable of Green White using IEC 584-3 standards white being -ve and the relvent colour the +ve
I see alot of the sensors being used are using black and white cable for alleged K type ????? :?

Black and white is for a differant type of sensor probe actually a J type which gives a completely different mVolt output across temp range.

J type set for -210 to 1200 deg C ...... mVolt -8.095 to 69.553 ie 500 degC=27.393 mV... 600 degC=33.102mV ...700deg C=39.132mV

K type set for -270 to 1372 deg C...... mVolt -6.458 to 54.886 ie 500degC 20.644mV... 600 degC 24.905mV...700degC= 29.129mv

Also Normally you do not crimp connectors onto TC cable as it alters the calibrated compensation factors of the cable.
They typically use special compensating connectors.

Smiffy
If its made of Metal Fettle it !!
wlightning

The power jet i use is a solinoied which when we built the bike i needed some way of turning it on and off so we at replay scotters thought a sx switch we could adapt
to work how we wanted to , this bike I have built has had input from DJ Webster,Guy Topper,Malc Anderson & chalky/chiro@ replay scooters.and has the best of the best
built in to it or on it so now all i have to do is ride and set it up to my ridding style ie plug chops, tail pipe & engin nose
Chutney Brownlove

rbgaz wrote:cause the tm carb is limited to what u can do the setting i hav is the only place i can get with it were its rideable
Gary, stop messing about with gadgets and fit a carb that works across the whole range. The TM/TMX range are great if they work for your application, but quite often they just don't. My mate spent months trying to set up a TS1 with a TMX 35, but it just wouldn't work with the pipe he wanted to use. The change to a big 34 dellorto, was a last resort and took some getting used to, but the ability to fine tune both needle and atomiser made all the difference.
rbgaz
Main scooter: gp rb230 dragster 180lc

lol then what would i do with my spare time !!! cant let this defeat me now after 2 years !! lol
wlightning

Fine Tune great statement, this is what we are all trying to achive. But when i spoke to AIM Tec there man "why are you putting a egt on a road bike you will never get it set up right anyway,due to weather conditions" which i totally agree with him ,just take race meetings the guys are all ways changing there set up.So when we talk about fine tunning on a carb surely this cannot be acheived and all we can hope for is for the bike to go well and sound right check your plug and tail pipe.
Yes I was told the delly was a better carb to set up mid range (what is mid on full most of time lol).
rbgaz
Main scooter: gp rb230 dragster 180lc

my next kit will be a mb rt kit , but before i change i want to get this rb kit to a stage were i can say i could ride it long distance sittin at a decent speed for long periods and i wanna do it with the tm carb and think the power jet could do it :bouncing:
wlightning

rbgaz wrote:my next kit will be a mb rt kit , but before i change i want to get this rb kit to a stage were i can say i could ride it long distance sittin at a decent speed for long periods and i wanna do it with the tm carb and think the power jet could do it :bouncing:
This why i kept my TMX because i found out you can fit a power jet kit to them, I live near to Allens performance (thay supply most dealers ) there teg guy is realy helpfull and he told me about this add on power jet kit and also could not see why i could not run 2 solinoed power jet cost £150 and power jet kit cost £80 i think then machine carb bell mouth both gravity feed
soulsurfer

You don't NEED an EGT on our scooters for setting up,save that for a dyno, but more of a warning, once set up, should anything change or fail, ie split manifold rubber, carb falling off head leaking etc. etc.
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information