Tuned scoot with standard forks and brakes etc

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
GlosRob

Is there anyone out there riding tuned Lambretta's with standard forks (ie no dampers) and standard brakes if so how bad is it ?

I have a 1967 sx 150 that I am about to restore and I am stuck between which way to go.My current ride is a ts1 gp R1 rear shock all the usual upgrades etc but I am craving a more standard look.

Ideally I would like the scooter to look standard (at least with the panels on) but be a good usable scooter with a turn of pace for rallies etc. So do I do a little bit as in dampers etc to improve the ride or go the whole hog and put a disc brake Jl exhaust etc etc ?

I already have an Imola kit li 150 gearbox etc that I would like to utilise.
MarkH
Dealer

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Or... go fast, stop fast.
GlosRob

I here what you are saying I would just love to keep the standard look as far as possible.
sean brady scooters
Dealer

maybe youd be better off sticking a std motor back in it then......
because you really would not get the best from the tuned one as you,d be compromised by the lack of brakes/suspension......... :lol:
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
GlosRob

Yea I am thinking perhaps somewhere in between- front dampers, a decent rear shock what are peoples opinions on a disc with reverse pull or is it inevitable that I will have to for a hydraulic.
soulsurfer

I have a SX150 with GT kit, AF Clubman, Hagon rear shock Italian front dampers and standard drum on the front with good quality NOS Newfren shoes. A nice compromise I think ;-)
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
cezeta

GlosRob wrote:Is there anyone out there riding tuned Lambretta's with standard forks (ie no dampers) and standard brakes if so how bad is it ?

I have a 1967 sx 150 that I am about to restore and I am stuck between which way to go.My current ride is a ts1 gp R1 rear shock all the usual upgrades etc but I am craving a more standard look.

Ideally I would like the scooter to look standard (at least with the panels on) but be a good usable scooter with a turn of pace for rallies etc. So do I do a little bit as in dampers etc to improve the ride or go the whole hog and put a disc brake Jl exhaust etc etc ?

I already have an Imola kit li 150 gearbox etc that I would like to utilise.
yep me......12 years ago. got hit by a volvo as the innocenti disc could not even come close to slowing me let alone stopping me.

standard scooters shouldnt run standard brakes let alone tuned ones :x
vince

Tuning should include the brakes , with increased speed comes increased danger, level the field again upgrade your brakes.
A few less metres of stopping distance from 80mph could be all you need :!:

A feature on brakes and stopping ability is long over due from the scootering press, there are lots of options out there and it would be very good to see an article on this subject, we have had the power trip rammed up our every orrifice ,do one on stopping power please :!:
Tuning on the tarmac dyno of life............
trev t

i run a ralf saxbey 175cc, goes like stink,, front dampers, standard brakes front rear,, but they work well,, no issues,,
cezeta

trev t wrote:i run a ralf saxbey 175cc, goes like stink,, front dampers, standard brakes front rear,, but they work well,, no issues,,
untill a volvo pulls out on you :shock: standard are fine for general stopping but ill play for greens that there are NO standard brakes, reverse upside down or inside out that will bring a scooter to a hault from 50mph in 25 metres........bang! ni-nor-ni-nor

however, a hidden master cylinder under the horn cast and an original style disc with mbd type hydrolic conversion or a powder coated scoot rs disc to "hide" it will have you doing stoppies. (and expose that your fork bearings are shot :oops: )

i suppose it depends what you get used to but if you are used to decent brakes, have had originals let you down with scars to prove it and tend to ride fastish then decent brakes make a less nervous ride :|
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information